I got a laboratory report that I have elevated liver enzymes. Is this dangerous? What does it mean?

Well, your doctor will probably sign you up for some more testing. Elevated liver enzymes is common. It doesn't indicate a specific disease but it may be due to a liver disorder. Here are the most common causes of elevated liver enzymes: medications, such as certain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, cholesterol-lowering medications, antibiotics and anti-seizure medications, drinking too much alcohol, obesity, diabetes, elevated triglycerides, infection, such as viral hepatitis and mononucleosis, autoimmune disorders of the liver and bile ducts, metabolic liver disease, excessive use of vitamin supplements and certain herbal supplements and tumors of the liver or bile ducts. The treatment depends ofcourse upon the cause.

I have had elevated liver enzymes ( GOT and GPT in the 400-600) range several times over the past 4-6 years and then they will be normal (10=40). I always can tell if they are elevated because I just feel bad all over. I was also dx'd in 1998 with fibromyalgia and have a family hx of elevated cholesterol and triglycerides (300-500). I have been unable to take statins because of the liver and then the cholesterol and triglycerides have been down to the low 200's with diet only. I had a liver bx done in 2004 which showed a mild fatty liver. I am worried that it may become something that will cause me to have to have a liver transplant and I was wondering if this is feasible or correct in thinking? My direct bilirubin is 0.4, GPT 503, GOT 521, ALK PHOS 262, glucose 89, serum creatinin 0.67, c-reactive protein is 8.8, aldolase 44.0.

My liver function enzymes were over 600, and I need to know how concerned I need to be.

My liver function enzymes are over 500 and 700. What does this mean? Any information would be greatly appreciated.