I was reading a biography of Andy Griffith and found out that he suffered from a disease called gillian barre syndrome. I have never heard of this condition before and I am more than interested in finding out what it is. I understood that it is some king of strange condition but it apparently did not stop Andy from working. Is there anybody who could share their knowledge with me?

Hi there! I don’t know much about this disease but maybe what I know can help you understand at least something of it. I read about it recently in one of my know-all books. Nobody knows what triggers this disease. Mostly it affects people a few days or weeks after a respiratory or gastrointestinal viral infection, or following recent surgery. Some think it is a reaction from influenza vaccine. Guillain-Barre Syndrome is a neurological disorder in which the body's own immune system begins to attack the body itself, rather than it's normal enemy, foreign material and invading organisms. It targets the myelin sheath, which surrounds the axons of many peripheral nerves.
The syndrome is characterized by muscle weakness, paralysis of the limbs and breathing muscles, onset of the disorder is sudden and unexpected. Symptoms are progressive, increasing in intensity until certain muscles can't be used at all. Sometimes can a person become almost totally paralyzed. It can interfere with breathing, blood pressure and heart rate and becomes a medical emergency. However, most patients will recover from even the most severe cases, with perhaps a residual degree of weakness. There is no cure for GBS. There are several treatments available, but due to the nature of this disorder, these are highly individualized and closely monitored in hospital.

It been in my family now for 18+ years, My brother a fit healthy person one day just felt sick and started feeling pain in his lower legs, weakness in limbs and hard breathing, I thought it was the flue, but alas The Monster
Guillain-Barre invited inself into our family and we have never been the same.

When he was 18 he just fell over one day and then the journey started, Hydro therapy, Plasma, and lots of support and care, from a fit young man to a wheel chair bound person, learning to walk again and dealing with the change in lifes direction.

Mark ( my brother ) started to learn to walk again and could leave the wheelchair he had became a-customed too. now 18 years later the monster has returned, This time the monster has gone to his upper limbs and now his lung fluid is about 1.4 , The course of plasma has began again and the waiting has started.
waiting to see if the monster will let him live of take his life.

If you have this desease, Then remember one thing, you can fight it, you cant hide from it.

Look after your health beacuse the fist attack was a warning sign, keep healthy and eat right and hopefully medical science will work this one out.

Regards
jason.
Brother of mark.

Hi

I am a 47 yr old female and I was shocked to hear that your brother got Gillian Barre twice. I was told it was a one time thing. Can we talk through emails ? Mine is ********

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Sure can**************

Yes, you can get this more than once, I am a 3 time surviver.

I suffered from GBS when I was 7 years old. I am now 35 but the effects of this disease are still present. I still feel fatigued on occasions for no apparent reason. I recently was offered to take a flu vaccination but was told that this could lead to a reoccurrance of this disease. I was also not aware that you could get it more than once. Any thought on what effects a flu vaccination could cause.

Regards

Scot

My god.. all this time my family and friends have been reminding me of GBS and always get worried when i'm really sick with the flu. i always tell them not to fuss and that it won't come back... just like the doctors said. well they told me there's a good chance it doesn't come back... just like chicken pox. i'm amazed too to find out that people actually did get it back.
was it exactly the same? was it a lesser dose?

when i was 15 i had gillen barre syndrome it started with tingling feet and my face was kinda pulled to one side i had no energy my parents took me to the doctors at the emergency room they said i was faking it three days in a row then on the4th day i fell to the ground i was in the hospital for a month i lost all my nerves to my body i couldnt move it went from my feet to my face then my legs and arms i had to learn to walk all over again i was in a wheel chair for six months it was really scary i was the second one in New York state to have it im fine now im 33 i just can never give blood or have a flew shot at least thats what i was told they said i was real lucky because it could have left me paralized it was a really bad time

For sure this is a strange disease. I am currently being treated for gbs.
I feel very fortunate the 2nd neurologist spotted the signs and diagnosed me correctly.

my battle started almost 6 years ago (my current age is 55) after a virus i noticed i was extremely weak. went to doctor. doctor sent me to neurologist he was lost. i stopped seeing him after about 6 months.

i gradually got a little better but never regained all my stength. After a bout with another virus i lost most of my stength in my legs. went back to the doctor he did not have a clue after lots of tests. he sent me back to the neurologists. i told him not the same one he agreed.

the 2nd neuro knew his stuff he did a spinal tap (great fun) to confirm his dio. after that he had me take the immun-globin treatments. did 3 treatments in one year, about 3 months apart. i am now on a med called imuran. to suppress my imune system. it has seemed to help. i am gaining stength but very slowly. I have not had a treatment in almost a year.

by the way the neurologist told me this syndrome is either chronic or isolated. if isolated it will appear then be gone but if it is chronic it will or seems to appear over and over without the immunglobin treatments.

ok there you go for what ever it is worth. i hope this helps someone.

my wife and i prayed for a long time before we finally discover what the problem was.

this disease is very serious and can be fatal.

oh yes i almost forgot. if you have been diagnoised with gbs i strongly suggest you begin an exercise program and get on and stay on a healthy diet.

recovering

pops

Hi

My sister was diagnosed with GBS 6 years ago, at age 52. We were devastated, as one day she fell ill, and over a period of a week progress to a state of weakness, back pains, hot and cold flashes and finally limbness as those she had a stroke (but on both sides). The doctors could not figure it out and thought she did have a stroke, but it was confusing as a stroke is on one side, but she had it on both sides.

We took he to another hospital a few days later. By then she had bell palsy (paralysis to one side of her face). There they concluded that she has GBS. Here lungs practically collapsed and she had to get assistance breathing. A few weeks later, a heathly lady was transformed into someone in a wheel chair, with abnormal breathing patterns. They told us that she will not be able to walk again without intense therapy for about a year. We prayed alot. Then one day while visitig her at the hospital she appeared determine that she is getting out of that place and had her bags packed, her determination showed whenever the therapist had sessions with her. She got better in a maker of two weeks and was able to walk for short distances. After taking her home, and limiting her activity she became depressed as she was use to being independent and always moving about. We couldn't stop her, so she eventually got back into her usual routine, and when back to normal. She has moved away and got married, however after 5 years after marriaged has now been diagnosed with HIV. The coupling of these two diseases has been terrible to deal with, but she still remains optimistic and relatively healthy. Her T-cell count is about 300 (200 considered to be full blown AIDS), we are now looking for options to deal with both. Anyone with any suggestions would be useful.

I am thinking some on this string are confusing GBS sith CIDP.. Chronic Inflammatory Delmylenating Polyneuropathy... This is a variant of GBS that does recur and has very similar symptoms... I have read and heard from my docs that GBS does not recur but CIDP and some of its varients do... Both can be treated with Plasma, but CIDP is effectively treated with immuglobin (or GammaGlobin) infusions.... I had CIDP last year and still don't feel like myself... Have my balance and strenght back, but still get odd sensations... I was told 70% + chance I will get it again... Anyone else with CIDP out there??

i was diagnosed with GBS about three four years ago and spent a month half of that month was in phisical rehab. After five months i was back to work i had a hard time for about three months because i had not regained all my strength back but i am about 99% back to normal the only problems i have are that my legs and arms fall asleep really fast and take along time to wake up. When i was in the hospital i lost the use in both legs and both arms i had to be feed for about three weeks and was in a wheel chair for about a month in a half after leaving the hospital and walked with a cane for another month after that. I guess you can say that when i was sick was not that bad i did recive the immugammaglobin i.v's i have not really had any relaps. to anyone who has had this or has famliy that is gpoing through this or recovering from this it is very important to have a good attitude about things having a upbeat attitude is what got me back to where i am right know i have meet a few others in the hospital that did not want to get better by working and were better of then i was when they went into the rehab center and took much longer to get better have the good attitude and you will get better, faster and find out more about yourself and the strength you need

I'm a one time survivor. What I have noticed about this syndrome is that is attacks the parts of your body that you use the mosts. I'm a Trumpet player, to play trumpet I use my hands to hold the instrumet, my facial muscles to play the instrument, my lungs and diaphram to regulate my air, and my feet to stand. I lost control of all those part.

Hi - My daughter contacted Gillian Barre Syndrom when she was 15 years old...it started with facial disfiguration which the doctor thought to be Bells Palsy..however within a matter of 3 hours she was paralyzed and in hospital. She went down to being on life-support within just a few hours from then..family was called together on twice as they thought she was not going to make it. She remained in hospital for two months and was released to come home in a wheel chair. it took her a year of treatment and therapy to be able to take her first steps.

Gillian Barre was described to me as a Transent Viral Infection that acts like a Pac-man eating the sheathe that covers the nerves at the base of the brain. Once that sheathe is destroyed the person is left totally paralysed and needing life support. My daughter was treated with a steroid (short term) which seemed to start her on her long journey to recovering.

She has been admitted to hospital again - she has been experiencing weakness and numbness in her arms...I pray to God this monster has not returned...she is now 36 years old with a family to care for.