I'm 24 years old. I've been diagnosed with anxiety. About 1 year ago I had my first panic attack. They have stopped since then. But ever since I had my first panic attack I have not been the same. I cannot sleep at night, when i start to fall asleep i suddenly come out of it short of breath and feeling like i'm about to have a panic attack, also abdominal discomfort on the left and upper middle area. On top of that i have this pain in my sternum and across the right side of my chest into the right shoulder. I have had all the tests done: ekg, echocardiograph, 24 hr halter monitor, stress test, numerous chest x-rays, blood tests, upper GI and most recently a full body bone scan. Doc gave me some losec for the abdominal discomfort which works kinda, but when i have my episodes before i fall asleep the abdominal discomfort comes back. I do believe my doc but i still feel like something is wrong. He also gave me prozac but i had some problems with trembling with that so he took me off and suggested maybe paxill but after the trembling i was kinda unsure about pills.

I was recently diagnosed with anxiety from several doctors. (I say several b/c I refused to believe that was the case.) I have always been in control and never had a problem before- but recently suffered a miscarriage. I didnt think it was bothering me- but I guess I guessed wrong.

My biggest question was "why I am being given antidepressants (which seem to have a lot of side effects and are hard to get off) when Im not depressed at all." I still dont understand how these meds work to cure anxiety if they are called antidepressants? I had recently been given Paxil and was very confused why and had horrible tremors, insomnia, diarrhea, feelings of losing my mind, etc. so I went off it. I am obviously hesitant to start a different SSRI- unless I can better understand why- I dont want to get in the vicious cycle of more and more meds. Right now its been 10 days since being off the Paxil (I was only on it for 9 days), and I have been given trazodone to sleep. Then we will talk about starting a different SSRI (Lexapro), but I am praying that the trazodone helps and I dont need any more meds.

Wel,, hopefully you are feeling better. Just thought Id write in and let you know youre not alone in being confused about what to do. I started seeing a therapist and exercising. Everyone says it helps immensely . Good luck- I keep everyone going through this nightmare in my prayers. maria

I used to suffer from panic disorder which I am finally getting over thanks to the skills I learned in my cbt group. Pick up a copy of been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz (tao3.com) and start doing the tea form exercise and you will learn how keep from going into a panic cycle over thoughts and physical symptoms that are not dangerous. You just have to learn how to train your brain to interupt the panic cycle that makes the symptoms worse. If you can afford it, join a cbt group too. Good luck and realize you can get better. I feel better that I have in years now.

Celebrity
I used to have panic disorder which I am finally getting over thanks to the skills I learned in my cbt group. Pick up a copy of been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz (.tao3.com) and start doing the tea form exercise and you will learn how keep from going into a panic cycle over irratiuonal thoughts and physical symptoms that are not dangerous. You just have to learn how to train your brain to interupt the panic cycle that makes the symptoms worse. If you can afford it join a cbt group too. Good luck and realize you can get better. I feel better that I have in years now.

Celebrity
Sorry about the double post above I thought I was signed in and didn't know how to delete the original message once I signed in and reposted it a few minutes later, and it just came to my attention now :$

About a year ago and 4 months ago I got my first panic attack, or so I was told. I was a 22 year old healthy female and it was so bad that I really thought I was dying. I didn't another one until about 6 months later but I then started getting them every week and eventually every day for about a month. I started doing some anxiety techniques on retraining my brain and eventually was able to stop having these attacks. Then one morning I was lying awake in bed with my eyes closed and I felt like my whole body was shaking until I opened my eyes and the sensation stopped. I went to the hospital and got some blood work and an ekg and was sent home diagnosed with anxiety. My last doctor visit I went in because I kept getting pretty bad dizzy spells for about a week and he just put me on some medicine for inner ear problems. It stopped the dizziness but here I am again experiencing these panic attack- like- symptoms and I just feel like something else is wrong. Is this "normal" for anxiety problems? I'm hoping it's just that I need to start working on my thought process or whatever is causing these attacks but in the back of my mind I'm scared that there is something in my brain that has gone unchecked because they misdiagnosed me with anxiety or something. If anyone has anything similar to this and was able to find something that worked it would be great to hear about. I would like to avoid getting on meds though as much as possible.

It sucks.. but meds really do work. If you tried one.. it wasn't the right one. Every med works differently and you just have to try a few until you find the right one. I have been on 4 diff kinds... Zoloft worked well but started giving me bad indigestion once I was on top dose, Lexapro worked okay but wore off within 18 hours of taking it, Prozac was really good but did nothing for my depression... and so on. You just have to tough it out and see which ones are good... once the meds help you get your anxiety under control then it is easier to learn how to deal with it and slowly abandon the meds. So many people don't want to be on meds... including me. I was terrified of going on them.. but I was forced to at age 13, when I would have no less than 9 panic attacks a day. I was hospitalized because i refused and couldn't go to school or go anywhere for that matter and I was very sick. It is the best thing that happened for my anxiety.. being forced to take meds.

I stopped taking them a year ago because of loss of my father.. I just got lazy.. and I regret it. I am going through all the bad anxiety and panic attacks again... so I am about to start up prozac again.. and once again am very nervous of taking it. (i always have anxiety problems before I take a new medication because i am afraid of side effects.) the only side effects I have really had is sleepiness, confusion, and fatigue.. maybe a little drymouth.

But I really believe.. take the meds.. They will help your body and mind beat down the anxiety... it's so much easier to have a little help than to make your emotions do it yourself when you are already so tired and anxious.

Good luck! Give us an update!@

I can back up the cbt and tea form recommendation. I was in a group and we used the book by Obitz and the tea forms are really great for getting rid of anxiety. You gotta work on them daily, but you won't regret it as it will become your new way of thinking and make your anxieties disappear.

Celebrity
Thanks for the back-up XD The tea forms work great if you work on them :-|

I've had the same problem. It started about 3 and a half years ago, when i had my first anxiety attack. Well, that's what my doctor describe it as. I'm not quite sure if it is. But it always happens when I sleep. I first get hot and cold flushes, then I'm freezing. I get these pins and needles like feelings in my hands, face and feet. My body starts vibrating along with a buzzing sound in my ears. It feels like it carries on for several minutes. When it happens I can do anything, can't move or open my eyes. After everyting, I feel out of breath , my heart is pumping very fast, nausious and my tounge feels swollen and has a pins and needles effect. I used to ignore it for a while. Then I started to hear things, feel things and see things. I did'nt know what it was. I visited my doctor and I was told it's anxiety attacks. He gave me medication called Alzam. It started to get better after a while. But I'm still having these "Anxiety attacks" even though I'm taking medication. I still hear things. I've also started to develop surtain fears, which at this stage is controlling my life. Im so scared . I for example have this fear wich is one of them... I'm scared to drive alone. I always get the feeling that someone in another vehicle on the road is following me and trying to push me off the road to kill me. I can't help feeling all these things, it just happens. I don' want it to. I just wish it would go away. :( Now my concern is why and what? What is happening to me? Please someone, help me with an answer.Code:

Celebrity
Guest you need to interrupt the fear cycle and the best way to learn to do this is through CBT thought countering exercises like the TEA form. It takes some work but you can gain the upper hand on your anxiety attacks and eventually prevent them from taking hold in you!

Guest, although it sounds like your problem may have started with anxiety attacks those thoughts that other people in ther cars are trying to harm you sounds like something more serious. I would consult with a psychiatrist and the sooner the better

Celebrity
It's always a good idea to get checked out both physically and mentally. A correct diagnosis of the problem goes a long way in helping you feel better :-)

Never a bad idea to get a second opinion! But if it is anxiety CBT is the best treatment. Working on countering your thoughts in a TEA form everyday will provide substantial relief. It's not easy but it's worth the work you put in.

Celebrity
This is true in my experience!