I must admit that I am very frightened for my father’s future. He is 70 years old and he has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. I would like to get to know this illness much better and since I have children of my own, I would like to know is senile dementia hereditary? I am also afraid for them.

There is a type of family Alzheimer’s disease. It is a very rare form of this illness and it begins relatively early. As for dementia itself, I guess you have been told how serious this condition is. No cure, no improvement. Only trying to slow down the progression with medications. The same meds are also used to control the symptoms, memory loss and speech problems being the most common ones.

Hi there,
You have to know that dementia also can result from conditions that damage blood vessels and reduce circulation in your brain. Stroke or other injuries in your brain can lead to dementia. So as you can see there is no hereditary pattern involved. However some say that some genes might be involved in onset of dementia but there are still no proofs of that. If you think that there is a chance that you might develop this condition then you just have to monitor your brain regularly at the hospital. If you notice any symptoms just check with your doctor to confirm this condition. I hope this helped you in any way.
Best wishes,
Marco