My sister is 53, a year older then myself and is in the advanced stages of MS. I just had an MRI and they found a 6 mil. lump on C3 and one of the things they said it could be is MS. I go to see a nero surgeon in 7 to 10 days. Could you please tell me if MS is hereditary and also what are the symptoms.? Thank you, Letitia Marquez-Cruz

Although MS is not a hereditary condition, there is some research evidence to suggest that there may be a genetic link.

Twin studies have shown that if one twin is affected with MS, there is around a 30% chance that an identical twin will also develop the condition, but only a 3-4% chance that a non-identical twin will be affected. These studies suggest that genes play a role, but are certainly not the whole story.

Current research suggests that the risk of someone in the general population developing MS is 1 in 1000 or 0.1%. The risk for individuals with one parent with MS developing the condition is 2%, meaning that there is a 98% chance of not developing MS. This risk becomes even lower if it is a male child, as MS is more common to females than it is to males (2:1). At this level, the risk is not much greater than risks in the general population i.e. in a family where there is no evidence of MS. The situation is very different for individuals who have both parents affected by MS, where the risk is much higher and has been estimated at 20-30%.

Symptoms of MS include loss of coordination, tremor, numbness, weakness, loss of vision and double vision. A single attack or exacerbation may include symptoms that have occurred previously or entirely new symptoms. Severe fatigue is a common problem in MS. Since there are many different causes of fatigue, however, this one symptom alone is not adequate to diagnose MS.

In people under 40, MS most often occurs as attacks or exacerbations of symptoms that appear and worsen over a few hours or days. These acute attacks are usually followed by periods of improvement or stability, referred to as remissions. Not all people with MS have acute attacks, however. In people age 40 or older, the disease tends to progress slowly, with few or no acute exacerbations or remissions.

Sorry, I have no response for the lump they found or how it might be related to MS.

Best of luck, Letitia.