After my dad had complete cardiac arrest last May he’s been on several medications that were supposed to help control the arrhythmia that’s caused us to rush to the ER twice during November alone, we finally got an appointment with a cardiologist. He thinks the best option would be to implant a defibrillator device, since dad fits the criteria for high risk of ventricular tachycardia. Cardio is trying to assure us that this procedure doesn’t carry any more risk than having a pacemaker implanted, but the decision is ultimately up to dad – and he is not for the surgery. What’s he most afraid of is that defibrillator would just make him suffer more. He is 68 and doesn’t have any other major health issues, but what impact on his life expectancy would the ICD implant have?

Thanks

Hi, so sorry to hear about your dad and his heart condition.  This type of thing can be trying for the patient and the family in deciding the best course of treatment needed. So what is your dad apprehensive about?  Is he thinking of a defibrillator that would inserted into his body as the ones they use to start people's hearts when doing CPR?  This would not be like that at all.  He would not feel it working and if fact, he will feel so much better.  Rest assured, he would benefit from this over having to take several medications that have such negative side effects.

IM DESPERATELY WANTING MINE OUT. NO ONE DISCUSSED POSSIBLE LIKELY SIDE EFFECTS AND I HAD CONDITIONS CAUSED BY AN OVERACTIVE IMMUNE SYSTEM. I HAD NOTHING VISUALY WRONG WITH HEART. NO ONE KNEW WHAT CAUSED AFIB AS HEART APPEARED FINE. I COULDNT TAKE HEART PILLS. THEY MADE IT WORSE BUT THE ABLATION THERAPY WAS WORKING. I THINK IT WAS AN AUTOIMMUNE RESPONSE AS AFIB WAS HELPED BY ANTIINFLAMITORIES BUT NO ONE WOULD LISTEN AND CARDIOLOGIST TOLD ME HOW GREAT IMPLANTS WERE AND TALKED ME INTO IT. I WAS NEVER TOLD OF POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS AND OBJECTING DID GO ALONG WITH IT. ABOUT A MONTH LATER I HAD ARTHITIS ON EVERY JOINT. I CANNOT STAND FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES SO BAD IS MY BACK, MY HAIR FALLS OUT MY SKIN PEELS OFF LEGS AND ARMS. I OFTEN SLEEP 20 HOURS A DAYAS WHILE IVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH NARCOLEPSY I NO LONGER RESPOND TO THE MEDS LIKE I ONCE DID. PLAQUE PSORISES COVERS JOINTS AND PATCHES ELSEWHERE AS WELL. SUGAR LEVELS HAVE GONE TO 850. I WAS AT ER REPEATEDLY. 2 TIMES ONCE IN 2 NIGHTS IN A ROW. WENT TO ENDOCRONOLOGIST MONTH LATER WHO SAID SUGAR WAS NORMAL THEN A RUMATOLOGIST WITH ALL THIS WHO SAID NO IMMUNE PROBLEMS HERE THO I HAD SKIN DROPPINGS EVERWHERE ON FLOOR. I HAD STARTED WALKING WITH A CANE AND HAD PURPLE ENLARGED FEET WHEN I TOLD CARDIOLOGIST ON SEVER NUMEROUS FOLLOW UPS SOMETHING HAS GONE WRONG BUT HE SAID NO SUCH THING AS AN IMMUNE REACTION TO A PACEMAKER DIFIB IMPLANT..B S I SAY. I PRAY TO DIE EVERYDAY. IVE BEGGED TO HAVE IT TAKEN OUT BUT SINCE MY INSURANCE RAN OUT NO ONE WILL HELP ME NOW OF COURSE. PEOPLE LOOK AT ME AND ARE HORRIFIED. THINK TWICE AND GET SEVERAL OPINIONS

CONT FROM LAST POST THIS WHAT I CONSIDER A FORIGN OBJECT NOW AND MY BODY CONSIDERS THE SAME WAS PUT IN ME IN 2015 AND HORIFFIC SIDE EFFECTS STARTED ABOUT A MONTH LATER SO BAD IN BEGINNING I COULDNT MAKE IT TO BATHROOM. EVERYTHING STARTED IN JOINTS IN ABOUT 72 HOURS, INSTANT CRIPPLING ARTHRITIS IN A FEW DAYS. IT IMPROVED A BIT VERY LITTLE. I HAD TO HIRE SOMEONE TO TAKE CARE OF ME FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS PLUS. I MANAGE A BIT NOW BUT ITS GETTING WORSE AGAIN. THE JOINT PAIN IS ONGOING. I CANT FOCUS NOR HARDLY WAKE UP. THIS IS NO LIFE AT ALL. ANY CARDIOLOGIST TOUTING THE GREATNESS OF THESE THINGS.....WELL I DARE THEM TO LOOK AT ME AND TELL ME HOW GREAT THEY ARE. NONE OF THEM COULD STAND LIVING LIKE THIS. I BEG ANY CARDIOLOGIST TO CALL ME IF ANYONE WOULD TAKE IT OUT...EVEN JUST THE BOX. ILL SIGN PAPERWORK TO RELEASE THEM IF IT DOESNT GO WELL. IM WILLING TO RISK DEATH RATHER THAN LIVE LIVING DEATH. PLEASE. 8654554679 EVERY DAY IS TORTUROUS THAT IS WHEN I CAN WAKE UP.