Do any of you have asthma? Have any of you developed it later in life?

I had suspected that I have had it for quite some time now. I'll have coughing boughts where I cannot control them or breathe well, especially after running. I've had spells where I get these episodes in the middle of the night and it's hard to stop.

I discussed this with my doctor yesterday, while I followed up on my BP issues. (BP was great BTW...108/83, the best ever). At first he thought the coughing was related to the meds I've been on and nearly switched the meds, but decided to run a few tests.

1) Breathing test
2) Chest X-rays

I took four breathing tests. After the four were taken, I could hear my doctor tell the nurse in the hallway that there had to be a mistake and to give me two more. Two more were given. Then I was sent off for X-rays. Did that. Returned to evaluate the results. He looked a my X-rays and he wasn't all that concerned with those, but he was with my breathing tests. I failed my breathing tests on all accounts. Every, single one. My scores were around 55%.

He was shocked. He said that I'd probably be worse off had I not been running and exercising all these years. I don't know? I've been running for 21 years now and perhaps my body has just been fit enough to push back the breathing problems. However now, I'm gradually getting worse. I have to stop during many of my runs due to shortness of breath.

I was prescribed and inhaler and will be going to a specialist now for allergies/asthma.

Once controlled, do you think I'll be ok with all that I do with my running, biking, etc. ?

I'd just like any opinions if you have them. Thanks.

Noley, I was severly asthmatic as a child. Spend many, many days in the hospital and was on oral prednisone and other meds for many years. I never ran or even rarely did gym in school. In my later 20's my asthma got better and I went several years with no meds, none. Then it reappeared in my mid 30's. I started running regularly when I turned 40 and I was amazed at how much stronger my lungs seemed to be getting but I was having some asthma symptoms that was affecting my ability to run and finally saw an allergist. He put me on Advair, the highest does one, and within a month I was doing much better again. After about a year I had another pulmonary function test and was absolutely shocked to find out that on that day, a day that I was breathing well and feeling good, my lung function was only at 70%! 8O The Dr. was concerned and I was really scared to know what it might be on a day I felt I was strugging to breath. I still an on Advair and use albuterol as needed. I go days without it now. Running has really helped increase my lung capicity, I know it has. So yes, with proper treatment n meds, you can continue to run n ride. 8)

I guess I don't get here often, or ever.

I'm in the same boat. I had asthma as a child and sorta grew out of it. I knew my whole life that I had "Something" wrong, but never went to the doctor.

I went to one of those health fair things where they check you real quick. I saw a respiratory therapist and he gave me a test. I knew him so he laughed at me and said com'n, really do it. I told him that was the best I could do and that I wasn't playing around. He sent me to the ER. That was 15 years ago.

I have been in an out of hospitals, on a ton of different drugs and to this day still cannot breathe. I think the best I can do is about 60-70% of the norm, thats on drugs.

My mother died of asthma at 58 and I probably won't make it that long. My lungs are painful and I'm sure I'll be on oxygen by the time I'm 60.

Good luck

Sheldon

I went from having bad allergy problems as a kid to asthmatic as an adult in my early 40's. Advair has been a miracle drug for me. I've been on it for about three years now and my dose now is half of what it was when I started on it.

I have had allergies my whole life, had asthma as a kid, "got over it" but like Sheldon, I think I continued to deal with it but didn't seek help for it, then one day in the middle of a crunch at work I felt horrible because i was catching the flu or something, just couldn't stop coughing, popped into my doctor to get something to help me out, help stop the cough and she nearly sent me to the hospital and we addressed my asthma again for the first time since the mid 80s. Anyway, its very well controlled now with medication and me just knowing myself and what to do and not to do...we've nailed down my triggers to a few of my allergies and figured out how to keep it (for the most part) in check. That said I've done a lot in the way of physically activity through out my life. I have a medication plan (there are great meds out there now, I too have had great success with Advair) and an emergency plan and I know what my norms are and how to measure them, and currently I'm doing pretty well on very minimal meds, I'm on a lot less than I was on when we addressed this several years ago and with success. It took some adjusting, but its not a hindrance to my personal fitness anymore than anything else would be.

HI.....

I have had asthma since I was 12 and I am now 40. I ran 17 miles last week while sick even.....YES you will be able to run and you will be suprised how well you can once your asthma is controlled. You will have bad runs and good ones....and you will know when your asthma is to bad to run but you will do fine!! Just learn to work with it and expect to have some off days due to yout breathing.... :D

hi, i kind of understand where your coming from.... i play alot of hockey and run alot an had trouble breathing and the doctor said that he didn't think that i had asthma as i was 15 and he said that i wouldn't get it at that age, and i then took myself to have a spirometer test and some other tests and i was diagnosed WITH asthma. the medication can sometimes take a while to work and to get use to, but i also noticed that mine would come and go during different weather, the worst being in winter. once you can get you medication under control and that, i started running again, and got it less frequently, but i always take my inhaler with me and take some before and during sport just to be sure!

don't know whether this will help u or anyone, but i know what you mean and i hope you can start running again soon!

good luck

kat