When do those of you that have Asthma have problems.

Typically its been the summer months, but lately the cold weather has been bothering me. So much so that it is giving me chest pains. A few puffs and stopping my run usually have the symptoms go away, but I am going to call the doctor anyway. It hasn't been this bad in a while.

Summer usually, for me. That thick, sticky air just kills me. I have no difficulty running or breathing in the cold but I hack like a demon for about an hour afterward, when I come back inside in the winter. I always found that weird. That is when my chest seems to close up on me and I need a puff to open it back up.

Both hot and cold for me. I really have trouble when the weather changes from one to the other. This 'winter' the cold has been giving me some tightness and wheezing problems, so I upped my daily dosage of one med and I'm good to go.
Saw my allergist on Monday and she was pretty pleased. My big airways are at 100% and my tiny airways are at 72%, which is pretty high for me.

Mine bothers me terribly in the cold. SO much so that I have been told by my allergist to not run outside, even with a balaclava, unless I want another asthma attack. That's what's happened the last couple times I tried that. I've had other opinions and they all say the same thing; quite frankly I trust hers.

Gin: You might want to watch it. That's what used to happen to me;I'd be fine while running except for a few coughs and then I'd hack and eventually wheeze once I got home.

Oh, I almost always hack for a good hour or more after I get home, especially after I get out of the shower and the steam has loosened all the goop. It's hardest at work because my boss is always ragging on me about the hacking, "I thought running was supposed to be healthy?"

My asthma is bad when its hot and the humidity is high so, in Houston, thats like, 90% of the time?? No, extreme heat with 95%+ humidity makes my chest supra tight.
Cold doesn't bother me until after the fact, like Genie said, after the shower or just coming inside to the warmth or something. Then I hack like crazy.

Mostly summer for me. Cold does not seem to affect it. I think my doc as me well medicated and managed

Its gotten to a point that I am hitting the inhaler every 4 hours. I don't have any regular medication. Also my chest near my hear feels tight all the time. I called the Doctor and I am seeing him Monday night.

I'm glad you're going to see your doctor, Greg. My allergist told my that anyone who is using their rescue inhaler more than 3 times a week isn't controlling their asthma.

Greg, that's exactly how I was getting. Hitting the inhaler every 4 hours. He put me on Advair, twice a day. Have emergency inhaler for just in case but have rarely used it. It's nothing to mess around with, I thought I was going to die one night after an unbelievable asthma attack.

This may sound overly simple, but it works amazingly well for me. I buy a bag of those small red delicious apples every week and make sure I eat at least 1 every day for a snack. I also take 1000mg Vitamin C in the morning and at night (powdered kind i just mix with water or whatever) in addition to a regular multivitamin. I cut my heavy cardio to 3 days a week and then just walk for about an hour steady the other days. Doing this for a couple weeks i now see a big difference. I don't wheeze as much after an intense run and I actually haven't used my inhaler at all on the runs lately. I warm up slowly and build up to 6mph on treadmill or outside. I hope this helps! I really think it's the apple a day and Vit C :)
Best,
Fuzzy

During an exercise session, the contraction of the wind channel starts 20 minutes into exercise. You will soon feel shortness of breath, wheezing, and coughing. Depending on the intensity of the condition, doctors will be able to prescribe the use of bronchodilator (asthma inhaler) before you begin the exercise to control the asthmatic symptoms.