Hi All. I'm wondering if anyone else has had shortness of breath while on Yaz. I'm an avid runner and stay in very good shape. In the 1.5 months I've been on Yaz it's gotten harder and harder for me to breath. I've gone from being able to do 10 miles no problem to not being able to run for 5 minutes without needing to stop. When I look back it all started when I began Yaz. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it get better

I've just gone to an asthma/allergy specialist b/c my shortness of breath hasn't gotten extremely bad in the last several months. At first I thought my asthma was getting worse for some reason, but the doctor doesn't even think I have asthma (on my lung function test, I had excellent function ... like over 100%!). But I can't run for longer than 15 minutes w/out having to stop b/c I can't catch my breath ... and I ran a 6-mile race back over Thanksgiving. I couldn't do that now no matter what. I'm starting to think it may be Yaz, since I started it in January.

I should've started a new pack this last Sunday but I'm not taking it to see if it helps. I've also suddenly gained about 7-9 lbs. over the last few months, which is abnormal for me, and have been extremely fatigued. I'm really beginning to think it may be Yaz.

hello - i just did a google search and came across this discussion. i have this same exact problem!!!! i started yaz in 2007, and lost all stamina in running. i had such a hard time catching my breath that i took that entire winter off. i went to my doctor, and ended up with an albuterol inhaler, which helps a bit but hasn't totally fixed the problem. i never considered that the yaz could be causing the problem! and i never ever had problems with my running before - i was running faster, and then all of a sudden i couldn't keep up with the slower group! and it all started to go downhill when i started with yaz!

i finished my pack yesterday, and i'm going to take the next few months off of it until i see my OB/GYN again. in addition to the difficulty in breathing when running, i also have had this horrible itchy elbow issue which i am also thinking may be yaz related.

Hello, I have been on yaz for about 2 months. I started having troubles breathing with pain in my neck and chest. I have this everyday now on and off. One day I thought I was having a heart attack or something, but I am only 27. My right hand and arm were all tingly. I don't know if it is because of this birth control. I only noticed it when I started taking yaz.

omg this has happened to me too! i have been having shortness of breath and i had no clue why but i bet it is because of the yaz! i am getting off of that pill right away!!

This also happened to me. It was originally written off by a doctor as asthma, which I've never had before and I've been an athlete since I was young. The prednisone that was prescribed helped a tiny bit, but made the situation worse overall...my situation didn't get better untl I stopped taking Yaz. Now I can breathe much better. I recommend finishing your pack (so your hormones dont go nuts!) and seeing your doctor right away - DONT let them write it off as asthma. Tell them everything you are experiencing on Yaz.

I have been on Yaz for two months now and I am experiencing the same problems. I have been suffering from shortness of breath and chest pains daily. I also can not work out at all like I used to. Running forget it, I can never catch my breath and I used to be able to run 5 miles easy. I was shocked to see that other people have had similar problems and that I am not crazy for blaming this on the pill. I am going to stop taking this pill asap. The only thing it has done good for me is that it has cleared my skin up.

I have asthma and it got way way way worse once I started taking Yaz. I had to use my inhaler everyday. I also experienced nose bleeds and severe mood swings.

Yep totally,  I just went to a doctor this morning to switch pills.  She didn't think my allergies or shorter breath were related - but I too have only been experiencing this since taking Yaz.  I have had asthma like symptoms and I've not been asthmatic since I was very young. I also have seemd to have seasonal style allergies, but so far this has only been the time I've taken Yaz, and once again I was only ever mildly affected by seasonl changes previously.

There is a whole gammut of other symptoms - like general fatigue (I've been exercising too to reagina energy - not working!)  I have about one sleepless night a week and a consistently faster heart beat (feels a little anxious and panicky).  I know all this is not normal for me....  and my emotions have just been crazy!

Wow, I just googled "I'm a runner, but now I can't catch my breath" to see if anyone had similar experience.  I never would have thought it's because of Yaz, but the timing makes sense.  Thanks for posting!  Now, do we know of a birth control that doesn't cause shortness of breath?

I started taking YAZ five months ago. After a month I was requiring my ventolin up to 10 times a day. Insomnia due to ongoing airway irritation at night and constant coughing. Mild asthma with previous usage ~ 5 times a year. Doctors said it had nothing to do with YAZ, put me on high doses of oral prednisolone, doxycycline for 2 months and salbutamol. After 3 weeks with no change, worsening health, and being generally very over it I stopped YAZ and all other treatments.

I haven't used ventolin or salbutamol since I stopped YAZ, and asthma is back to normal, pre YAZ. So I think it needs to be listed as an adverse reaction.

GET OFF YAZ ASAP!!! PLEASE listen to me and GET OFF the pill! It's not worth ruining your life! Do the research and LISTEN to what your BODY is telling you! Good luck everybody

omg! this is amazing i thought i was dying, looking back my breathing problems started getting worse when I started taking Yasmin. I have asthma anyway but it started getting worse. I am a keen runner and could run forever but that all changed and running became nightmare not a pleasure. After reading the info other ladies have put I feel a huge sense of relief, I will finish the packet and hope to see some incredible changes!!!!

Two years ago I started having very severe breathing problems.  I was also taking YAZ at the time.  I went to the Dr. thinking I had pneumonia, I couldn't catch my breath and it was getting worse and worse. She did Xrays and told me that she couldn't find anything.  I was very ill and infact was getting to the point that I would sleep up right on the couch. I was afraid if I laid down flat I would die in my sleep (and I am not a dramatic person by any means).  Infact I was getting so bad my mother came to stay with me for a few days - then I thought maybe I'm getting new allergies or something.  So I made an appointment with an allergist.  My allergies were the same as they already were buy my breathing was horrendous.  He did a breathing test for RADS Syndrome.  Someone a bad count (say for a heavy smoker) is 50pts.  I was told my breathing was absolutely horrible.  I was off the charts receiving as my test results were 250pts.  He said he couldn't believe it.  Hasn't' seen anyone that "sick" nor did his nurse.  I was put on Advair 2 x's a day, singulair once a day, and iberoterol (sorry, think I spelled that wrong).  Over time I was starting to get better taking all of these medications.  We were planning that my life would depend on these medications.  With that said - 2 years later I no longer take Advair, Singular or the Ibyterol inhaler.  Thought my body just healed itself...lol - never realized that this was a side effect of YAZ.  I stopped taking about a year ago...which is when I started "getting better".  Now that I have read everyone's experience w/breathing on YAZ I am definitely going to pull my medical records to see if I was taking YAZ when I was diagnosed with RADS.  Couldnl't figure out how I could get RADS - it's considered an occupational asthma and I never worked or lived anywhere that would cause such...it just never made sense.

Same thing happened to me, I have quit taking the "Yaz" and my asthma has gone away.