I am a sixteen year old girl who is wondering if I am suffering from asthma, anxiety or both. I am a thin, healthy girl and have been very worried I have asthma and have been thinking about it constantly. When I exercise, I get more out of breath, more worn out, and my heart beats faster than other people. Sometimes my chest hurts, but people tell me that is from my chest muscles being worked. I get a little dizzy also. When I go to bed at night sometimes it seems hard to breathe. I can take a deep breath and everything but it seems hard or something. I know there isn't anything wrong with my heart because I had an EKG done recently and chest x-rays. That was fine. When it is hot humid and muggy outside I find it hard to breath. Isn't it hard to breath in stuffy air though? I don't know if I think about all this too much or if it is really something wrong. I also seem really tired most of the time. I am not depressed or anything though. I am a really happy person but am very worried about my health. Do you think I have asthma. I don't have any coughing or any known wheezing. I just seem more out of breath and worn out and faster heartbeat when exercising. I get out of breath doing a little exercise. Could thinking about every breath I take seem like I have asthma? I really want to know what is going on! Please help!!!!

In my first year of college I went through some similar symptoms, so my parents took me to a specialist. I don't know if he was an Otolaryngologist or an Allergist, but he did scratch tests to see what, if any environmental allergies I had, and also performed a lung capacity test on me. The allergy test came back positive for things such as: mold, mildew, pollen, tree buds, grass, and cats. My lung capacity was normal. Apparently he concluded I did not have asthma, but I did have environmental allergies that I might try avoiding to see if it made a difference. These results were unhelpful because I was not really able to limit my exposure except if I avoided going outside. It wasn't until years later, I realized I must have been suffering from anxiety because by my second year at school, the symptoms seemed to have disappeared. I have also recently discovered that many of these symptoms are signs of chronic dehydration. Dehydration is not something that only happens to someone wandering in the desert. Simply put, "do you drink enough water?" 64 oz/day minimum. Headaches, shortness of breath, racing heart, fatigue, constipation, among others, can all be symptoms of dehydration.

I'm taking a wild guess at low iron. just a thought, blood can't hold onto as much oxygen, therefore you body gets less oxygen. this might lead your simptoms. get that checked out and let me know how it worked out.

peace.

Sweetheart, you surely breathe much more at rest than the medical norms. Hyperventilation causes both problems to develop and get worse. Exercise should be done, in your case, with light intensity and strictly nasal breathing 24/7.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Sounds alot like some stuff I've had. For me, it''s asthma and GERD/reflux. When it was bad, I had legitimate anxiety. Good luck! I'm also fairly young and healthy, and both GERD and Asthma are triggered by exercise.