Anyone else suffer from asthma? Mine is allergy related and makes running outdoors challenging during the spring and fall. My doctor only said to continue on my medication and not push myself. Not really informative... So I have a question:
Has running helped ease your asthma at all? Any recommendations?

Just wondering if y'all can give me some insight.
Thanks!

Advair twice a day for me although I've only been doing it once a day of late. Mine is allergy triggered also and seems to have subsided in past 6 months. For what reason I don't know. I have been training exceptionally hard (for me) during that time so it could be running related. All in all, I think running has to help you somewhat because it will make your lungs and cardio system more efficient.

You sound exactly like me! My asthma is allergy related. On the scheme of asthma it is fairly minor but makes running outdoors challenging during the spring (my rough allergy months). I also got similar advice to "continue the meds, and take it easy" um.... :shrug:
My doctor did suggest swimming as a cross training on days the pollen is really bad, and as much as it makes me insane I've tried to stay in on the treadmill.
What medications are you taking? I'm on zyrtec, singulair and advair 250/50. I was on the advair 150/50 but it wasn't helping me so we bumped it up and I feel a million times better.
I don't know anything from a medical perspective but I would tend to agree with Rob and think in the long run running would help your asthma just because your lungs are going to be so strong....that is, as long as you don't go into respiratory arrest training somewhere along the way....
Good luck!

Singulair 10mg
Flovent 220mcg, 2 pufffs 2 twice a day
Proventil, PRN

Exercise has helped yes. Right combo of med's helped even better.

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement guys. It helps knowing it's not just me. :)
Right now I'm on Zyrtec-D but the doc thinks we may need to switch up a little because it's not working as well as it was. I'm also on Singulair, which has helped a whole lot. Love the stuff! My doc also wants to switch me to Advair. I have an appointment Thursday to discuss that so we'll see. My asthma has been pretty much under control for a few years but I want to get a little more serious about being healthy and running so I need to kind of compensate for the changes in my lifestyle. Or at least that's how I see it. That's going to mean finding a new right combo of meds for me. :) Fun fun!
I'm not as apprehensive now though. At least I know if I have some questions that there are a few people who can help me and will understand.
Thanks again.

My asthma is both allergy and exercise induced. I do three different inhalers:
Albuterol as needed (usually just before I run)
Pulmicort Turbuhaler - 2 puffs in AM
Serevent - 2 puffs in AM and more if needed in PM
I don't do Advair because I change the amount of Serevent I use throughout the year. Right now I'm doing another 1 puff in the PM.

I agree with the previous thoughts that aerobic exercise, due to it's nature will help improve an asthmatics' breathing, but I think Greg has hit it on the head. The right combination of drugs has helped tremendously.

Sorry, I just saw this post!

Asthma - Singular, Flovent, Serevent, albuterol. Triggers - exercise, allergies, stress (pathetic, but true), weather changes, and sometimes I get an attack if I'm getting sick.

Running has helped tremendously. Swimming helps even more. I've only had 1 asthma attack during a run, and that was actually just a couple of weeks ago (it sucked), and it was because I was getting a nasty cold. I'm usually ok if I pay attention to the weather - sudden temp changes and high humidity really affects me, so as long as I keep that in mind as the seasons change throughout the year, I'm ok.

Keep at it, and good luck! See a doctor, get regular checkups, keep on your meds, and you'll be fine!

:D

This condition is exclusively dominant in the peak of night. Hence the name, Nocturnal Asthma. The persons diagnosed with this condition will experience intense difficulty on breathing and other typical asthmatic symptoms like coughing and wheezing in the night. This interferes with the sleep and loss of quality of life. It can quickly leave your life in disorder.

Nocturnal Asthma is one of the serious types of an asthma attack. It needs cooperation from the patient and immediate medical attention is compulsory. The reason that makes this particular type of asthma attack serious is because, it occurs while you are asleep.