I quit smoking two months ago and ever sense my asthma which has been controlled till now has been totally out of control to where I am using my albuteral so much I go through a bottle a week. My doctor has given me many other kinds of asthma medication but nothing seems to work. I get this spasm type cough that is dry no phlegm. The cough is so hard. I have had chest x-rays and they are clear I have even been given an EKG and that was fine. I am 36 and have had asthma sense I was 12. I have even lost my voice I think from using my inhaler so much. I don’t know what to do. I don’t have insurance so it makes things very costly for me. I would like to know if anyone else has gone through this when they quit smoking and if so can I expect this to go away and maybe things to get back to normal...

I have also recently quit smoking and am battling with asthma attacks that are getting progressively worse. I am going to my doc next week but was hoping you may have made some progress and could give me any info?

I do not have asthma. But after 2 months I have quited smoking, I am having the worst laryngitis ever in my experience. It just won't get better and I do not know is there a relationship here...

Well, if you could answer my question that would be great. my boyfriend well he has been asthmatic his whole life, and I saw him smoking a few days ago when he drove away from work (he is hiding it from me) and well he has been coughing a lot more now. But will his smoking really make his asthma evwen worse off than it already was?

I have given up smoking for a year now and feel very unhealthy and have just been diagnosed with Asthma. I am 42 and smoked since I was 17 and until now have enjoyed very good health!!??

WOW! I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago before trying to get pregnant. I have never had asthma before. In my 2nd trimester, I was diagnosed with Asthma, and I was hospitalized 3 times during my pregnancy for it. The last time I had to have an emergency C/S b/c they couldn't get the attack under control. I had a baby girl, and she is fine - going through the terrible 2's. I have been in the hospital 4 times since she was born for uncontrolled asthma. I see a pulmonologist who has been trying to help me, but it seems nothing helps. Two of my hospitalizations have required the ventilator. The last one was 3 weeks ago when I quit breathing in the ER. I am scared b/c it seems to be getting so much worse! I have often joked to my co-workers that I never had respiratory problems until I quit smoking!

This phenomen happened to me, too, soon after I quit smoking--about 20 yrs. ago now. A lung specialist told me last yr. that my asthma turned to COPD--I really don't want to buy into that diagnosis--I feel the same as I did for years; getting out of breath with exercise, even walking, though I force myself to keep on going. Please don't go back to smoking, as I'm sure you'll only get worse in the future, but it is VERY odd, isn't it.

I quit smoking over a year ago and I have had constant asthma ever since. I used to get asthma when I got a cold, now I have it constantly. I hope someone has an answer.

Some of these posts are quite old except the latest. I too have been smoke free for a little over a year. I went to the doc around three months ago. He told me that if you had asthma before starting the nasty habit (like when you were a kid) and had it during smoking, chances are you are not going to grow out of it (like some do, actually a family member had it when they were a kid and do not have it now) and it will continue. Hopefully it is controlled. It sounds like some folks do not have it controlled. I too have asthma, however, my breathing over all is soooo much better. I too get some weeziness after execrcise, and from allergies, but I gotta tell you all that my asthma was alot worse and I sucked on my inhaler alot more when i was a smoker. All I have to remember is what the doc told me and I have met a few people first hand who have COPD, that if you have asthma and continue to smoke most likely you will develope a much more serious lung disease than asthma. I would rather have asthma (controlled of course) than COPD .(emphasema) or lung cancer, anyday even on a bad asthma day! Congrats to all who have quit smoking and all who are trying at this time it is sooooooooworth it!!! My suggestion to all on this post and those coming , go see your doctor and get your asthma under control.Asthma is not a joke, and please do not start smoking again.

I went to a horribly dry, desert type place in Mexico recently and was stricken by terrible asthma attacks. I smoke, or did, and my sister warned me one day that if you smoke, you should NEVER use an inhaler... I'd done it before and I felt it necessary but you REALLY pay for it. I've been coughing like a lunatic for a week now and the only thing that seems to calm it down is steam. I go into the bathroom and fill the room with steam from the shower and faucet and breathe deeply... very very deeply, and exhale until you hear all that crunchy, rumbly stuff in your lungs grumble around, then I quickly inhale again until I can't take in any more, and repeat. I might do this for an hour and getting to the bottom, when you can't blow out any more seems to loosen things up and I start coughing a lot... a lot a lot... but they are productive coughs, and I usually start breathing more clearly almost immediately. That method actually works without steam, but the steam really facilitates things.
I hope this helps someone out there.

I am 42 yrs old I quit smoking 10 years ago, I have had asthma since I was very young, I thought I had outgrown it around the age of 15 about the time I started smoking. My asthma returned when I stopped smoking, 10 yrs ago and it has been an ongoing battle ever since. I wonder if there is something in some brands of cigarettes that might control asthma? I know of other people that have observed the same thing. I was a 3 pack a day smoker, I used the gum to stop smoking, I chewed nicorette for almost a yr.

I am 31 years old. I am approaching my one year anniversary of my final cigarette.

when I was younger I suffered acute asthma attacks. usually when i was diagnosed with bronchitis or strep throat. but often just after heavy recreation. I started smoking when i was 13 (i was the coolest! lol). the asthma attacks started getting more rare and i believe i had the last one when i was 14 during the winter with really bad bout against bronchitis. have not had an asthma attack since, until april of last year! I quit smoking on feb 10 2008..... had my first asthma attack in 17 years two months later. I have been having them on and off ever since.

can i get some real information that isn't tainted with big corporate lobbyist propaganda. the heart and lung associations that make enough money selling their B.S., to plaster misleading commercials all over the TV. I need to know from an honestly educated person why quitting smoking let my asthma creep back into my life. I do not need to hear the sob stories about how i'm better off cause smoking killed my aunt's dog groomers cousins third husbands mother. I don't care.... i am better off cause i have that money in my pocket, and worse off cause i can't breathe. thank you.

So strange. I feel it's only right that it seems my health has gone to c**p since the day i quit smoking. I hate it. I had asthma as a kid and out grew it right about the time I started smoking like most here. As soon as i quit I started having breathing problems and use my inhaler daily.

I guess smoking masks the asthma or other disease. It seems too common.

I am 33 and quit almost 2 years ago. I know I will not go back to smoking, but I was so looking forward to all those promises of breathing better when i quit.

All of the above posts are the reason why I have yet to quit smoking. I've known many asthmatic smokers who have almost died from their asthma after they quit smoking, which highly frightens me since my biggest trigger was always tobacco smoke.

So now I've been smoking for about 12 years (26yo) and am terrified to quit, especially now that my symptoms are getting worse for longer periods. I'd still have the occasional asthma attack, but so far I haven't been able to breathe for the past 2 weeks.

I did try to speak with my doctor because I severely wanted to quit smoking to increase my lung capacity for cycling so I could start racing, but he just blew me off with, "Oh, yeah, I guess you should quit."

A friend who recently quit had to go on three pills and several inhalers when she quit.

Hypothesis- Smoking, they say, stops your lungs from working, so everything just builds up in there: all the allergens that would have been triggers but didn't trigger anything because the lungs weren't working. So, when we stop smoking, it sends our lungs into a panic as they try to clear all the c**p out of our lungs and causes our asthma to flare more often.

Which can make absolute sense, when you're talking about days, weeks, and a few months. But we're not, are we? What we're really talking about is years and years of post quitting trauma.

Could it just simply be from years and years of smoking trauma that we caused to our lungs? Or, maybe, there is something in the cigarettes that helps with asthma? Then again, it could just be our lungs filtration system is geared up to work too well, and that's why we have asthma to begin with, so, in effect, cigarettes are a sort of treatment for asthma.

All I know is that before I started smoking, even being separated by a 2ft exterior wall with no windows (like the apartment behind me), if people were smoking in it, I immediately had to go to the hospital for a breathing treatment. Since I've been smoking, that doesn't happen. I used to work in a bowling center and at several restaurants with a heavy customer base of smokers.

My conclusion and advice?

Find a doctor who will actually take those concerns seriously and put you on a preventive medicine before quitting smoking so as not to go through so much pain and horror.

I have had asthma since highschool. I smoked a lot of pot in hs also - in college I stopped smoking pot (but drank more haha) and my asthma bothered me on occasion - typically when i played sports i had a hard time breathing...it seemed to get better and then has gotten worse in the last couple years to the point i am using my rescue inhaler 5-6 times a day for relief and if I can't find it, start to get panicky (i take 200 mg zoloft), it it's even harder to breathe and i freak out till i find it. I have gone in the hospital for panic attacks and also for breathing treatments before - i cough up mucus - sometimes thing, other times very gummy - and wake up in the middle of the night unable to breathe. I do smoke and drink but trying to cut down, and also did some late night treats, and a lot of it, which I have since stopped bc i think that had a lot to do with it also, and have 3 pets i am allergic to, but refuse to get rid of bc i love them. I do live in a big city in a rehabbed loft and the brick in my bedroom is falling apart a little, little by little it makes a pile of brick dust on the floor... i did notice when i was out west i didn't need to use my inhaler and being back here it's back to horrible again. I can never clear my throat, i have chest pain that goes through to my back, and my chest always feels heavy like a ton of bricks are on it. I'm 31 years old