Hi. My friend is an epileptic. I saw her having a seizure. But I felt nothing. I remember I was thinking I should go home to watch the game. How empathy occurs in people? I don`t feel any! Am I crazy?

Hi. I don`t know. What is crazy? Empathy is when you put yourself into another`s shoes. Empathy is when you can feel the emotion of another. I guess you don`t care too much about that friend of yours. Otherwise you would be at least worried. When something bad is happening to somebody you may experience empathy because you think that could`ve been you. I saw an injured cat the other day and I took her home with me. She was alone and nobody was there to help her. Nobody was interested in her life. But I was. I admire life and I believe everybody should do everything to preserve the life.

Empathy involves imagining how you would feel in someone else's shoes.

Its easier to have empathy for someone when you've already had the same experience yourself -- like if you had had a seizure in the past, that would make it easier for you to imagine how your friend felt, and have empathy.

Most people can have some empathy for your friend, even if they haven't had a seizure, because they can still think of times they needed medical help, or times they were scared, or times they were embarrassed.

Could your emotional state right now be blunted? No affect? This can happen when a person starts new medications such as psychiatric meds, high blood pressure meds and many more.

I remember years ago when I started on atenolol, a beta blocker for my hypertension, a completely "flat" affect that lasted a good couple months. I didn't feel anything about anyone or any situation. I was not mean or cruel or violent. I simply didn't feel anything at all.

If you are depressed you can have a blunt, flat mind.

Most people that lack empathy don't care enough about their lack of it to be bothered asking anyone about it. Maybe you were just having an off day.

Good Luck

You are an as****e. That person was just looking for help. Enjoy your cat.