Since I want to start running soon I’ve been talking to several people who told me that I should first determine what runner type I was. It turns out that there are several ways a foot hits the ground and that there are special running shoes for each kind. So, I don’t know how to determine what runner type I am. Can you tell me the easiest way?

It’s actually very easy. All you need to do is wet your feet and then stand on clean, dry surface. After that, take a look at the footprints. There are three types of foot and your foot type depends on anatomic differences. Feet can be flat, high arched and normal. Now, each of these three types has a particular characteristic movement when hitting the ground. Flat feet usually tend to overpronate, high arched are underpronators or supinators and normal feet have neutral pronation. In order to correct overpronation and underpronation and help feet feel comfortable while running various kinds of running shoes have been designed for each of the pronation types. So, if your feet are flat, for example, you’re overporantor and that is the type of runner you are.

Doing the wet feet thing is the best way to find out. You may want to get the current month of Runner's World magazine down at your local newstand or grocery store. They have a shoe buying guide this month and they go over this stuff. You're in luck!