I have flat feet and I’ve noticed that I have problems after my running training. I have pains both in my feet and in my calves. When I asked a friend who is a long-time runner what the problem might be, he said that I was overpronator. Can you tell me what does that mean and does it have anything to do with my flat feet? I’d like to continue running and I don’t know how to eliminate those problems.

Your friend is right. People with flat feet are usually overpronators. Overpronation means that your feet aren’t in a natural position when they touch the ground, but they roll onn the inside instead. Overpronators don’t divide their weight evenly and that causes big problems. You can see whether you’re overpronator if you take a look at your soles. If they’re worn out more on the inside, you’re overpronator. In this case, the most appropriate running shoes for you are motion control running shoes. For example, Asics Foundation 7 belongs to this group. In addition to motion control design this shoes provide comfort because of Gel cushioning system. I think that your problem will be solved if you follow my advice.

some good advice from salim,

When you have flat feet, you have no arch support which creates moderate to severe pronation.(ankles roll inwards). The Asics Gel foundation 7 is a great shoe, I would also suggest either the Brooks Beast or the Mizuno Wave Alchemy 7. You will need a shoe that has an aggressive roll bar.( Grey lining on the side of the shoe where your arch is)

These tips should provide you with pain free running!