Hi. I’ve recently been prescribed with Hydromorphone Contin 25 mg I have one “small” problem. You see the problem are the tiny plastic balls that fill the capsule. I have a huge trouble swallowing it and I would really appreciate any suggestions regarding how to deal with these. I have had similar problem with Oxycontin 40 but solved it by heating them with water but I can’t do the same here. Thanks for all replies.

You have my al sympathies. Time-relese caps can sometimes be really large and hard. I think you could try crushing time-release caps and mixing them with water. That should not reduce the drug effect. But, you should check what is written on the package – it is often written how long will it take the drug to react – use that time delay to determine when you need to take your dose. Also, check this with your pharmacist cause I might be wrong.

DON'T chrush thoose beads!... jesus christ!... they're time released, chrushing them would cause the full 12 hour dose to be realeased. You can however swallow just the beads, fill smaller capsuls with the beads. (I assume you have the gray or red ones) And they're BIG, I found putting water in my mouth, putting the capsul in and putting my mouth down before swallowing helped a lot.

Just a warning, you should NEVER chrush ANY XR medication, narcotic or not it can be deadly.

I also take the hydromorph contin capsules. i have no problem swallowing them, but can understand how some ppl could absoiutely have problems. The "guest" is absolutely right!!! Don ot crush the beads inside the capsule or disolve the in water!! That could be dangerous, and you wont get the time-release effect that the Contin's are designed for. My pharmacist told me you can do without the capsule, but the beads must stay intact to work properly. I have 2 possible solutions for you.

1. Open the capsule and sprikle the the beads in your food. Cool or room temperature foods would be preferred, as hot soups or food may dissolve the beads. My doctor and pharmacist both told me this was acceptable. Apple sauce, pudding, or yogurt is ideal.

2. Ask your doctor to prescribe you the pink 6 mg hydromorph contin capsules instead of the 25 mg capsules. The 6 mg are substantaially smaller and certainyl easier to swallow. You would just have to take 4 capsules instead of one. I generally take 18 mg 2x a day, but i use the 6 mg ones so that if i need a little more or a little less pain control, i can adjust my dosage accordingly without having to double it. I try to take as little as possible while still effectively controlling the pain.

Hope i was of some help. Hope your pain goes away soon!

Ive been taking 30mg hydromorph contin/ 2 tabs...three times a day to combat rheumatoid arthritis pain for over three years now...I also take five 4mg tabs of dilaudid per day with the six hydromorph 30's and have crushed them from day one...over time you get immune to these drugs and their effectiveness grows weak over time as your body grows resistance to opiates. When I first started taking hydromorph...I was on 18mg six times a day...then up to 24mg six times a day and now I'm on 30mg six times a day. I use a coffee grinder to bust em up and ram them up my nose! If I had'nt been given hydromorph contin...I'd of done myself in from the pain! Now I'm hooked on the dam things and can take over 250mg per day and still be up and at em! Depends on how much pain you are in I guess. I would never condone crushing and snorting any pills but for faster relief...I was doing so. Tired of feeling like a junkie?...new drugs are being derived from the cone snail that are non-addictive! Only catch is having a pump implanted that delivers the drugs to your spine...hope this helps someone....Just keep in mind...you may not tollerate crushed hydromorph contin as well as I do so please be careful! I know what I can handle after being on these for soooo long now! Ive taken 150mgs of crushed hydromorph contin right up the nose...I slept for 10 hours strait and may have never woken up! Be careful!

i have taking 4mg pills of hydromoraphone for 2 years now i have mutiple injuries for the military.  i have alot of wait how can i gain it back number 1  also i have told my doctor but this person i think does not really care.  i am concerned i want to stop immediatly.  can someone out there help , teel me what to expect and or do.  i weighted 155lbs perfect for me i also suffer from  bi-polar  1 and 2 i have a high metabolism,  and now i can barly shove food down my throat i know i need to eat but i just can't........if anyone can help this is my first type of situation thaT I HAVE EVER EXPIERENCE.......THANK-YOU ALL FOR READING THIS......THEASE COMPUTERS ARE REALLY GOOD FOR ALOT OF THINGS.........