I'm 23 and recently I had an accident when I fell of my bike. I broke both of my legs, the left one also has multiple fractures. I was experiencing extreme pain so they put me on pain killers. At first when I was at the hospital they gave me morphine but when I was released from the hospital they gave me dilaudid pills. Right now I'm taking pills called hydromprph contin, they told me to take one red and two yellow pills, do they contain different types of drugs. What's the difference between the two and are there any important side effects that I will experience?

Hydromorph contin has the same chemical structure as dilaudid. Dilaudid and hydromorph contin are two brand names used by two different pharmaceutical companies, generically they are the same. The chemical name for the both is Hydromorphone hydrochloride. The difference between hydromorph contin and morphine is that the latter is 5 to 10 times more powerful and more potent, so it’s astronger analgesic with fewer side effects. The difference in color between the pills doesn’t mean that they contain different substances and there probably is no difference in contents of these yellow and red pills. The difference is in the amount of active substance contained in the pill. The doctor probably prescribed you the exact daily dose, so in order to reach that dose you have to take different amounts of the medicine, for example if the daily dose is 35 mg, you will take one 30 mg pill and one 5 mg pill. Possible side effects are nausea, vomiting, constipation, lightheadedness, dizziness, sweating cardiac and respiratory depression. If you experience any of those symptoms ask for immediate medical assistance.

julia: :D if you have any question about this medication..i think i can anwser you ( i take those pills since 4 years!) by judi

Hi there, I a have been re-diagnossed with lower cronic back pain (croprssion fracture L4). I have just seen the Pain Management Specialist here in town and she has put me on Hydromorph Contin 6mg, and also Hydromorphone HCL CR 6mg,...........9cap it says underneath. My problem is I used to take 2 Tylenol 4#, and 2 Demerol 50's T.I.D. <--------3 X A day right?> sorry just a novice here, and well. For one I am not getting the same pain releife and second nothing but sleepiness, depressing, and much more. There is so much more to this story but I hate to go on some thing here I just came across and don't know where is going to. The very last thing though, the T#, combo worked so well for me, I was able to get so much done around the house,....shopping when I needed to (As I agoraphobia as well, amongst others....but yes the T4#, helped me so much........please advise me as what I should do. Ps. I have a little son turning 2 in Feb.2009,...he is the joy of my life and needs all the mommy I have be. Physically emotionally,......and soon I hope one day I hope it wont be me asking Grandma to give him a bath. :'(

The red and yellow are different dosage levels the combination of two different ones can give you intermediate steps.

In your case you are taking 72mg of hydromorph contin a dose.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed