Ok, so I have tried just about everything in respect to pain killers. I have chronic pancreatitis and am on some heavy stuff, when I get a flare up. (swelling of the pancrease) I am currently on Oxycodone 20mg ER, Dilaudid 2mg, Morphine Sulfate, And Trazadone 75mg. The oxycodone work really well for around the clock pain management, but sometimes it is not quite enough, so I take a dilaudid 2mg. Wow just took one aboout 30 minutes ago, not expecting that this tiny little 2mg pill to seriously adhere to my pain. Boy it works alright. I was switched to dilaudid from morphine because when I would take the morphine about ten minutes later I experienced this horrendus aching in the center of my stomach, wasn't worth the pain, so I told the doc and he says it causes the sphincter of odi to spasm thus the result in pain. The dilaudid works wonderfully, when I am in the hospital I usually have a pca pump with dilaudid, it provides quick fast releif of break through pain. I also take the Trazadone for night sleep, b/c the pain is so bad, it keeps me up, not anymore now that I am on dilaudid. The only thing that scares me is the addictive nature of these drugs, oxy and dilaudid. I don't think as of now I could live without them. Oh and by the way I also add a phenergan 25mg pill with the dosage, it help boost the pain killer effect it seems. Let me make one last statement though I am on these pain meds, they are intended for a true medical problem, I am not an abuser, I just look for releif. :$

There is nothing wrong with looking for relief! ANd nothing wrong with being happy when you find it.

I take a fair amount of Dilaudid, of which the drug name is hydromorphone. Dilaudid is a brand name of hydromorphone, just like Tylenol is a brand name of Acetominophen. And you are correct, it works extremely well, better than oxycodone. About a year ago i suffered a gunshot to the head from a high powered rifle, and since awaking from my coma, habve tried prety much every painkiller out there. I would say hydromorphone, or dilaudid, is the best for me.

If you are this plesed with just the 2mg hydro's, you might consider asking your doctor to switch you from the oxycodone ER (which i think stand for Extended Release) to Hydromorph Contin. Hydromorph contin is the controlled release form of dilaudid, it is designed to work for 12 hours, and it really Does last 12 hours, providing you take the adequate amoiunt for your pain level.

I must say I am surprised that your doctor hasnt switched your oxycodone ER to HYdro morph contin already, as docs usually try to stick with one type of pain killer when possible ( i know you take others too, but still). Especially since you are soo pleased with the results of the dilaudid. Maybe mention this to him or her, and ask to be switched over. I think you would be quite happy and pain-free with the results.

The pain keeping you up during the night in unaccepatable in my opinion. With the available medications nowadays, there is no reason anyone should be suffering thru the night. Plus, being on these kinds of painkillers is bad enough as far as possible addiction goes. Why add in a sleeping pill and increase the chances of you becoming dependant on 2 drugs instead of 1?? Hmmm, i cant figure that one out.

I am quite certain that with adequate amounts of Hydromorph Contin for all day relief, mixed with dilaudid 2 mg for break-through pain you could sufficiently manage your pain enought tostop taking the phenergan AND the Trazadone, unless of course you have sleep issues other than just the pain.

Ask your doctor about HYdromorph Contin. SInce you are already taking dilaudid with great results, i would see no problem switching from the oycodone to the Hydromorph contin. You have nothing to lose, except a whole bunch of pain! Hope i was os some help, if you have any questions feel free to ask me. ANd good luck with your pain management!! Justin

Wow - you are lucky you have something that will work.  I have just been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis, and have had extreme pain in my hands and forearms during my 2 "flare-ups". The pain lasted for 10-12 hours before eventually dying down.  Oxycontin does nothing and the hospital gave me Dilaudid (they would only give me 10, and the envelope says the pills are 10 mg), which believe it or not, also did nothing.  I took 5 of them in the course of 5 hours.  My doctor, who is new to me (my regular one being on maternity leave), couldn't or wouldn't answer my query as to why I seem so resistant to narcotic pain medication.  And up here in Canada, doctors are very reluctant to prescribe serious pain medication.  I'm dreading the next "flare-up".  The doctor did prescribe Tramadol but I have a feeling it won't work either.  Kind of a nightmare.

I asked my Dr. -i feel like a drug add taking these med. I also spoke to a detox Dr. about the meds i was on . They both said that you have pain n must be on these med. Dont feel that you are a drug add. The problem is that if you tell anyone that you take these pills. They think you are a drug add. Just dont abuse the pills n thats hard to do sometimes. What i do is give the pills to my wife n she puts one out in the morn. n one at night...