Dilaudid. Ok so I have this pill Hydromorphone 2mg. Tiny little thing. I have been prescribed for severe pain, oh and it works. So my question...anyone else on this script.? And does it work for you..? what are the effects you feel..? Do you double up..? How long does it last for you..? Hallucinate..?, Feel withdrawls..? Thanks for the info. Josh

Hi Josh,

I was recently prescribed Dilaudid after surgery...2mg also. Yes, it works very well...no pain, great sleep, etc. I was given 30 pills, to take every 6 hours...no other directives. Well, after one day of use, my sense was that this little pill was one to watch out for....I am not an addict of any sort, have never been....but felt that I (or anyone else) am not above having a potential addiction. I started to wean myself off after 24 hours and I don't know if these were withdrawal symptoms, but I would feel dizzy and nauseous at the precise hour that I should have been taking the meds; also, the first night I did not take the pill, I did not fall asleep until 3:00 a.m.! (Unheard of for me...). I did not double up, no hallucinations. In the end, I only used 10 of those pills and threw the other 20 down the toilet where they belong. Hope this is helpful.

Hey there Josh

I also take Hydromorphone and have been for over a year now.. I take the HYdromorph Contin (the controlled release from of hydromorphone) and the 2mg tablets that you take for break-thru pain during the day. I have tried all the major painkillers, like oycodone and hydrocodone since my accident early last year, and i find that the hydromorphone works the best for me. I can take smaller dose than with oxycodone, but it still works just as well, if not better.

It is safe to double up, as 2 mg is the smallest possible dosage tab that you can get. But you would want to check with your doctor first. If you are still in pain, i dont see your doc saying no. Keep in mind tho, any side-effects that you are experiencing would only worsen with an increased dosage. The Dilaudid are a fast acting tab designed to only last a few hours. With me, its 5 hours tops (usually more like 3-4), and it takes over an hour for me to feel any relief. If you find that you are taking them constantly through out the day, you may be better off with the controlled release hydromorphone (Hydromorph Contin), that is designed to be taken every 12 hours, and it works really well, it DOES actually last 12 hours. I take 12mg 2x a day of the Hydromorph Contin, and about 8-14 mg of the dilaudid, the fast acting hydromorphone, in between.

I have been on hydromorphone long enough that i dont really feel the effects anymore, but at first, loss of appetite, sleepiness and constipation were the big ones. As far as hallucinations go, i havent had any ( i dont think,lol) but my dreams are extremely vivid and life like, almost real. I wake up sometimes not knowing if i am really awake or not.

As for withdrawls, ive been taking the pills everyday for over a year. I know if i miss a dose, my pain just rears its ugly head again until i take my dose. I adjust my dosage to my amount of pain that particualr day, my doctor told me this was ok, as i take a relatively small amount even at the worst of times. But i know from other ppl's experience that withdrwal can be Extremely Nasty! How long have you been taking Dilaudid?? If its only a month or less, your withdrawls will be minimal, espeacially when only taking 2 mg at a time. But still, it is recommended with all opiod drugs (drugs derived from opium) that you gradually taper your dosage, until eventually you are taking none at all. Quitting "cold turkey" could be a real nightmare, similiar to heroin withdrawls from what ive been told. The longer you have been taking the drug, the worse your withdrawl syptoms will be, even if you do taper your dosage. Therefore, it is best to take as little as possible, while still effectively controlling your pain level. Some people worry about becoming "hooked" but apparently that is only usually an issue with people who have had drug abuse problems in the past, from what my doctor told me.

Hope i was of some help, if you have ANY other questions, fell free to ask me. Hope i was of some help. Good luck with your recovery.---Justin

First off thank you for the responses for those who letthem two of you so far that is. I was on the 2mg of dilaudid and now increased to the 4mg for break thru pain, in conjuction with oxycontin 30 mg ER. The dilaudid is scripted at 1 to 2 pills every four to six hours PRN (as needed). The oxycontin is scrpted at one every twelve hours continuous dose. The oxy does a good job at maintaining, however the dilaudid does the final draw to the pain management, and that's great for someone like me suffering from a pancreatic disorder, hence the meds along with 10 others non-narcotic though. So let me say I did indeed experience the withdrawl symptoms from I think more so the oxy, vs. the dilaudid but it's hard to say. It was horrific! I did not think I was going to make it another day without one or more of these meds, I lasted two days of beat down kicked in the alley to die symptoms with no help. I could not even get out of bed the first day off the meds. You may wonder why did I do such a thing..? Well here is the story. My wife was concerned that the meds were causing me agitation and mood swings, and I agree they were and do, right ..? So I have been taking this other drug called Cymbalta and this is not only an anti-anxiety/depressent drug but acts also as a pain receptor blocker from what I understand, I am still clarifying this from further research studies. So I started to feel better and thought well, stop he oxy and dilaudid, well I decided this because I ran out, and did not go in for a refill, thinking I can do this no problem. Wow! what a mistake!!! I ran out of the pill on a Friday, by Saturday morning I was done. So I learned alot from these "little pills", if you will. I had no idea that your body could become so dependent on this drug. I am not an abuser but felt like one after the fact. Nothing I could do would stop the nausea, runs, chilles, hot/cold flashes, severe depression, anxiety, weakness, aches, pains, and more, you all know I am sure. I learned a real lesson here folks and if your or anyone you know is taking these stated above scripts caution tham and stay out of their way if they run out. I finally today received a refill of both this time doc wrote for 60 each. I thought that was alot but then he explained the effects of quitting cold turkey, he said that's what you'll end up if you do it again, that's no joke! So he gave me steps to wean, but sad thing is I don't think my pancreatic disorder is well enough to wean off of. So I explained to my wife whom is wonderful at that, and she said well I will deal with the mood swings but please leats get to the bottom of this pancreatic disorder to alevieate the need for these meds. I am currently seeing a specialist here in Colorado at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (Anchutz), one of the best in our country, I am hoping that we will have some answers to this disease I have cause unknown to date, other than the first attack being alcohol induced and have had 11 attacks since then in a matter of three years. Anyway not to jumble on, but thanks for the responses and SteadyHeakth is one of the most valuable sites on the world widw web today, bless you all. Regards, Josh.

if you are still around, i know it' been 4 years, but I also have major pancreatic issues/malfunction and take dilaudid as a result. i absolutely HATE having to take it because of what it does to me, but I wouldn't be able to function with all the pain the pancreatic disorder causes. Please respond if you are still around :)

Hey lucky2balive,

Please get you facts straight with this medication. 

I have been on all strains of Hydromorphone which include, 8 mg(white), 4mg(yellow), 2mg(orange) and 1mg(green) which is what I am on now.  I did take up to 5- 8mg tablets per day but truthfully when you finally except it 1 mg will do the same as 8 mg in certain situations depending on your injury or illness. It is a very fine line between chronic pain management and abuse(trust me I know, depending on individual circumstances)

Leave your medical advice to someone who knows.

IAM NEW TO THIS 2MG DOSAGE..ITS BEEN 3 days since I started..i have no relief at all..I use to use Morphine ER30mg for 3 yrs now.so i wanted to take a break from Morphine and Dr recommended these DILAUDID..i CALLED my dr and explained i was in excruciating pain, with no relief from the Dilaudid...and he told me to 'WAIT AT LEAST 3-7 DAYS for the drug to act on my pain...well..wish me luck this works its magic, since a lot of people swear this is like SUPER-MORPHINE.and they prefer the Dilaudid..Luckily for me, iam also on FENTANYL PATCH 100MCG..SO THE PAIN is not as 'I want to die"..phase...so, after one-week, if i dont see any improvement, i willgo back to good old MORPHINE..and stick to the old faithful..all natural, MORPHINE... WISH YOU LUCK...HAVE FAITH..

I am on 8mg of dilaudid and it does nothing for me. I just had major back surgery and I also have been on several different meds for the past 3 years for severe and chronic back pain. I only take this medication 3 times a day I also have other meds that I take to try and help the pain and nothing works for me. I am not looking for a high I just want the pain to ease so that I may tolerate and get some rest. I cant even remember the last time I was able to get a full nights sleep. I may get about 2 to 3 hours of sleep each night and I try not to nap during the day so that I may sleep. I have worked with a team of Doctors and they all have stated to me I have an extreme high tolerance for a lot of medications. I wish there was something out there that would just ease the pain and not feel like I am just taking candy and spending so much money. I have never done anything illegal and I never plan too. I am not sure if there is a higher dose or if that is even safe but I have heard that dilaudid is one of the safer drugs to take as far as it affecting you liver. I am also allergic to a lot of pain meds. I do have a question is this med suppose to make you sleepy or what is it suppose to do.

I was recntly prescribed Dilaudid, but everytime I take it, it makes me feel really weak and queasy. I can't stand up for long cause it feels like I'm going to pass out. Those symptoms are not listed as any of the allergic reactions to it. I am in a lot of pain, but all that they have tried I have had an adverse reaction to it. I don't know if I should try to use it again, so confused.

Try taking one 50 mg gravol tablet.. works really well

I was overtaking my meds, then decided to follow the label. Guess what, the meds worked. the 2mg. dilaudid pill takes about 50 minuates to feel the effect, but thet do work.

Man I take 8mg 3 times a day and have been for over a year. It's a god send for me it is for breakthrough pain to be taken with the methadone I take 3 times a day as far as what you were asking and talking about your not going to get all out addictive problems from what you described you may find it hard to sleep for a day or 2 but you should still be able to even if it's only 20-30 minutes at a time good news is you should be fine and I'm happy about that for you god bless

First time I took having diluadid was in recovery mad me sicker then........ well you get what I'm saying. Before my next dose ate soup and a small grilled cheese, took it no problems since. I had the same symptoms also. Now I make sure I eat something even if it's a few saltines with some ginger ale or what not

Eat a bit of food before and after taking the pill as then the body digests it daster. About 35 minutes. Please people pain is better than what taking too much meds or using them in the wrong way. I try to always follow the script and tell my dr if it's not enough right away. But I was given 30 2mg a day and said whoa..asked to go down to 20 still to much so I asked to go to 10 pills a month for severe pain and have hydrocodone on a prescribed regiment for oain. I have 21 chronic conditions but I would rather be in pain then take too much or let my mind get fuzzy. Please be careful and try to think of your family whenever u have an urge to overuse.

Guest, he was only saying what his experience is just as you have. Colors don’t mean a thing. I have been on 4 mg of dilaudid or hydromorphone. The color means nothing. It depends which generic company the pharmacy based has on hand. On day you may get a yellow and a different generic may be white. Same amount, just different companies. 1mg is not like 4mg or 8mg. What are you talking about. I have given these medications to people in the ER and ICU’s and trust me they are not the same. It depends on how bad you pain is, what you genetics are and many other factors. Some people metabolize opioids very fast and doses that work on many will not work on them. They will need a higher dose. You can have your blood drawn and have your genetics tested and see how and what medications you metabolize differently. I have personal knowledge when I have been very ill from a chronic illness then an accident or surgery. Dilaudid or hydromorphone are fast acting usually work in 20 minutes unless you just ate a huge meal. The OxyContin ER is taken twice a day as a little realeases over 12 hours. Unless you metabolize fast. Also there is a difference between dependence and addiction. Anyone stating and staying on an opioid for a period of time or extended period of time due to severe pain WILL become dependent and go through withdrawal. Should be done under a specialist. An addict will steal, lie and do anything to get their drug. They don’t pay attention to dose or what it does or what a prescription says. Their main goal and thought is to get more drugs. Not for pain but for the high or not to get sick. Addicts will doctor shop and go to different pharmacies and buy drugs or steal drugs from people. People who are dependent will not steal and will not doctor shop or lie about it. The most important thing is to be able to function. If your not then it may be a good idea to detox off and stay off for awhile if your illness allows and give your body a chance to make its own pain control. It goes to sleep when a drug takes its place. So you pain will be much worse at first until you are off long enough and your body realizes you aren’t going to take something to control pain and it will start to help again. Either way it’s a hard decision. You need it you need it. Just remember coming off is not fun and is very difficult. So really make sure other things like acupuncture or massage or other remedies don’t make it possible to live with pain. Our government is changing. They don’t care if people really need it anymore even though they have a chronic illness that causes pain everyday. So it’s going to be harder to get. Best of luck to everyone in this boat. No one plans on this happening but life has its own plans. So just work with a caring doctor who knows you and if you can skip a dose now and then it’s good so you don’t develop higher tolerance. Hope that’s helps someone. This is my opinion and what I have witnessed, learned and gone through and not to be judged by someone. It’s only meant to help. Take it or leave it. Good Luck