:-( Looking for people with actual documented chronic pain from illness such as chronic pancreatitis due to pancreatic duct malformations, who are using oxycontin/oxycodone/msir, but new doctor would like me to try ms contin because my dose is getting higher of course of the oxycontin for relief, it has been 6 years since my initial surgeries and attacks, I tried low dose methadone once two years ago from my MD who is a pain specialist but was nodding off at all kinds of embarrassing times. I was also on some muscle relaxers that week for a fall with herniated discs, and xanax for a long time for a hx of panic attacks and PTSD. I am afraid to switch to the methadone, I keep hearing about people dying, I'm embarassed as to that nodding off thing, I am responsible for part of the day for a child before and after school and DESPISE feeling high or dopey. Anyone??????p,s, I have been an R.N. (trauma, med/surg, you name it ) for 17 years and know how the medical personnel often view those of us on pain medications as s**m of the earth. I hope to God I never did that to anyone.

answer me one, would 15 mg of mscontin plus 50mg of methodone be safe. I am on methadone for addiction and now supposed to take ms-contin 15 mg. i want to know if this is safe

If you are on 50 mg of methadone for addiction you would be better off if you can get the doctor to prescribe methadone for the pain as well it will work better and you wont have to worry about cross tolerance and you will feel better on the methadone with a short acting opiate such as vicodin or lortab for the breakthrough pain that you would take only when needed, 10mg 3x a day of methadone based on what you are taking already with the assumption that the 50mg holds you for 24hrs. you should start 5mg 3x a day and see if that helps the pain and if not after a week you would go to 10mg 3 x a week, a week is needed for your body to adjust to the additional 15mg a day and to find out if it will require an additional 15mg a day.
And about the 15mg ms contin no that is not allot to take with the methadone but morphine will cause you to develop a tolerance after a period of time and 15 may not work as well if that is the right amount to begin with but you wont get that problem with methadone.

Make sure you check with your physician before taking or changing any medication as this info is not intended to be used as medical advice.

C

Just as an fyi methadone is supposed to help people who are addicts but methadone is one of the worst drugs to withdraw from and should never be done outside of a hospital/rehab situation. If you can get away with taking nothing that is always best, but if you need it go the lowest dose possible methadone is evil!

I all the time take 100mg ms contin 2 times per day mornining and night i am also on 120 mg of metadone every mornining and im still alive