I have a friend that uses hydromorph contin. I was thinking something about this drug, is it similar to morphine, and could it be abused. He claims he has to take it, as doctor prescribed it few weeks ago. Somehow, I do not believe him, since he never complained about pain. I want to hear more about hydromorph contin, because I need to know if he lies or not.

Hydromorph contin is a semi-synthetic opioid agonist, and it is a hydrogenated ketone of morphine. This drug shares the pharmacologic properties typical of opioid analgesics. Hydromorph contin produce its major effects on the CNS and gastrointestinal tract. These include analgesia, drowsiness, mental clouding, changes in mood, and euphoria or dysphoria. Beside these possible side effects of this drug are respiratory depression, cough suppression, decreased gastrointestinal motility, and nausea, vomiting, and increased cerebrospinal fluid pressure. As you can see, I do not think this is something that patient wish if he does not have to take it. In patients with chronic pain, hydromorph contin should be titrated to the dose required to relieve pain without unmanageable side effects. Clinically, dosage limitations are imposed by the adverse effects, such as primarily respiratory depression, nausea and vomiting, which can result from high doses. I think you should talk to your friend and help him if he has some medical problem, and stop doubt.