I suffer of hypnopompic hallucinations for some time (long enough) and it really effect on my normal-day life. Sometimes it happens pretty often, and in the next moment, is gone for weeks. Stressfull life? Maybe. But is there anyone else that wakes up and hallucinate for a few seconds in dark? Those scary and bizarre pictures fade away, but is a problem regarding that. Sometimes I ask myself is it real or just another hallucination?

Hi, same here. I suffer from hypnopompic hallucinations for more than 7 years and know pretty much about the problem. Not only visual problem in my case, I can also hear sounds. Hypnopompic hallucinations are visual, tactile and auditory events. They don`t last long but are very vivid and disturbing. Usually is a part of the tetrad of narcolepsy (is treatable). If you don`t have narcolepsy, your tendency toward psychosis is pretty big. Hypnopompic hallucinations can occur by either day or night. Auditory hallucinations are the most common. Your problem is mental, there are no any physical signs that can point to hypnopompic hallucinations.

I didnt know there was a name for it but this has been happening for a while and now more and more often it is so creepy and even after blinking a few times there are still there. I usually see people. For example last night I woke up around 2ish and there was a man sitting on my computer desk looking back at me.

burritopop, I have had the exact same thing for a long time. It comes and goes and I only really have it like ... Once or twice a year. But I always see people as well, I have seen a woman (she actually used to talk to me when I was still half asleep), there was a boy who was rocking back and forth on my floor, a man standing by my closet kind of hiding behind my desk looking at me, a couple standing at the end of my bed, and my Grandma the night she passed away.

I've had these for years and have tried to find out information - not easy - as it's usually associated with narcolepsy, which I do not have.
I have found, however, one supplement that seems to eliminate these episodes for me - blue green algae. I'm not here to sell anything - I HATE that. Just go to a health food store, get some Klamath Lake blue green algae. I've experimented with this and if I take the algae in the afternoon, I do not have any hallucinations. If I stop, within a couple days, they will return. I'm convinced that it's the amino acids. My nephew suffers the same thing and this works for him. So, if you want to make these episodes stop, give the algae a try.

I've had these on and off since I was 14 and have only discovered their name today and that they are such a common phenomenon! Glad to read of other people's experiences. It's so difficult to mention these things to people who don't get them! I read in a book called Zen and the Brain that these symptoms are caused by electrical storms in the temporal lobes - sort of mini seizures.

My own hallucinations were most intense during a year when I was meditating for long stretches each day and probably suppressing my conscious thought far too much. The hallucinations felt so 'evil' and became so intense that I was fearful of sleep every night. I stopped meditating and they gradually disappeared. I only get them a few times a year now. They are always unpleasant and the noise and buzzing is deafening to the point of being unbearable - like a helicopter in my head. If I consciously try to wake I can sort of control the intensity but when they were really bad I become physically paralysed and helpless - like my brain and body are being invaded by demons. I have to just lie there for an eternity until it runs its course. The visual hallucinations are largely abstract but incredibly frightening. I am aware of the presence of dead spirits - some that I can identify - and have heard warped music and voices. I also feel like someone is sitting down on my bed and palpating my body. I once 'woke up' fighting off a spirit. I was pushing as hard as I could against what felt like a real person's fist. I can tell when they are likley to occur because I get a dissociated feeling where my mood makes me hyper tuned in to 'presences' I sense around me.

I've had this thing that has happened to me for many years now. I would at first have this recurring nightmare that everything just goes up in flames, I wake up from it and I see and smell smoke for a good 2 or 3 minutes. Recently however i have been seeing a crow or something black with wings and I can hear it's wings flapping. At first I thought it was like something like demonic or something but then I was like there has to be a medical explanation for what is going on. This is actually the first place that I've gotten a slight explantion. All of the other things I've searched just told me about people who smelled weird stuff. For them it was a mini seizure but I dont believe that is my problem because I have the visual hallucinations as well.

I've had the same thing happen to me every single night for about a month! I would wake up ( and be fully aware) and hear people telling me to do different things, and I would often see people or scenarios playing out in front of my eyes! Telling me to do different things whether its to go get something or say something. The crazy thing is that even though I know that its not real, I still respond to the demands! Often by saying something repeatedly or catch myself yelling or cursing ! Keep in mind that I am fully awake during these episodes and have full conscious memory and recollection of these events. After these have stopped after a minute or two. I will simply go back to bed.... Are these just hallucinations, what is going on , I used to sleep walk as a child but nothing this serious!

ive had these for ages but every time i woke up i saw something in my room be it spiders everywhere or snakes or like a person, and yesterday i got so scared thinking there was someone in ym room, but a few times ive fought these figmants of my imagination and woke up when either my self ro someone has turned the light on. its always horrable and disturbing, something scary never something nice, im glad to hear i dont have mental problems to be honest i was questioning my sanity!

but these hypnopompic hallucinations have audio and visuall but they are so real i hate it!

Your symptoms sound like classic Narcolepsy. Please go see a Neurologist immediately. You will get the testing and treatment needed. Narcolepsy is an Autoimmune disease that can be treated and hopefully one day prevented.

Hi there!!! It's so interesting to read about others' experiences of this. For the past 10 years, I have experienced, occasionally, sounds and feelings just before waking up. I hear buzzing sounds and can feel my whole body buzz; I feel pressure on my body as though someone is touching me-very strange. At first it scared the hell out of me, but now I find myself fascinated by it and actually sometimes 'hope' it will happen!!!! It happened a couple of mornings ago and I was interested to note that it happened the morning after a night when I felt very down and cried a lot (pms!). So, I wonder if it is something to do with low mood and maybe depression?!
Anyway, I find it very interesting apart from the association with psychosis-that's slightly worrying (I don't suffer with narcolepsy)

Debbie

I have had hypnopompic hallucinations with sleep since I was little but it was only once in a great while and usually just visions of insects. Now I am 24 and it happens nearly every night. I typically don't recognize my husband's face, it's like he has the face of a stranger..and it takes me a while to come back to reality. I've even slapped him at times, and sometimes I'll scoot to the edge of the bed because I don't think I know who he is. I'll ask him over and over who he is when this happens. I've also seen tons of moving lights, geometrical shapes that float around, people, faces in my mirror, bizzare objects, babies, birds, doors, animals, etc..the list goes on. I often wake up terrified and trying to catch my breath, sometimes I scream out for help. Sometimes I wake up and don't know where I am, I've even walked around until I figure it out. One time I got up and knocked on the wall, another time I got up and started throwing clothes around. Most recently I saw the image of a black gate that was being outlined over and over again. Weird. I can literally stare at these images for a good long while, I'll even blink and look away and look back, they are still there until I turn the lights on or think really hard. You would think as much as this happens that I could tell myself it's not real but in my mind, when it happens, it always is. It's not until the next morning that I realize how strange it is that I thought it was really happening. One time I reached out to touch what I saw...of course nothing happened. From what I've read I guess this is a pretty common thing with people and isn't related to the paranormal...I'm just wondering why they are increasing in frequency and why they are getting more disturbing. My husband is half afraid to sleep with me and I don't blame him. I'm afraid of what I might do in my sleep or end up. No one in my family has this problem. I don't have narcolepsy or any other sleep disorder that I know of. I guess I'm just worried that with age these will keep getting worse as they have been now. I have noticed they are more frequent with stress, but can happen at any point in time. Anyone with experience have any thoughts on the matter or advice in how to make them decrease?

I've had strange sleeping problems for probably all my life and I've been having hypnopompic hallucinations infrequently for about 8 months now. I never tried to investigate this problem until last week when I woke up at 5:30 in the morning and had such a strong feeling that someone was in my house trying to hurt me that I jumped out of my window and ran down the street for about a minute before realizing that what I was doing was completely irrational. I hurt my foot bad enough that I needed to get stitches. I hadn't up to that point ever even left my room because of them. It was a pretty frightening experience.

It is interesting that someone else related their hallucinations to meditating because this summer is when I started having them frequently and this summer is also when I first started meditating on a regular basis. The brain is a strange and wonderful crazy thing.

I've had this problem my whole life. Unlike everyone else here I've had the lights turn on and still saw these things for another few minutes. When I was a kid, I saw a man on top of me, on my bed. I started screaming bloody murder and he backed off get off my bed and went into the corner of my room. My older sister came to my room and turned the light on and he was still there. I was still freaking out telling my sister there was something behind my door. She started getting scared and we had a conversation for a while about this thing that was or was not behind my door. Finally she kept asking me do you want me to look? do you want me to look? I kept saying yes but she was so scared she didn't want to look. Finally she gave in and just as she started pulling the door he said to me I'll be back and i watched him disappear. how did that happen so long? how did it happen to disappear then? The light was on the whole time she was there. Then it heard her give in and look and it disappears. other times the things i've woken up and seen i'll see that same thing all night long when i wake up. Another time I could feel things touching my skin i kept feeling and kept feeling it for a while. I finally got the guts to lift my blanket up and i saw all these little people that scattered. Usually i'll do some actions. Ive hit my husband before. I've moved papers. Generally i don't sleep walk. However one time I was with my husband and my dog was around somewhere. My husband was sleeping on the side of the bed that the door to get out is on. I saw him and my dog leave and go out the door so i get up and followed them. I ended up following them outside and was walking down the street! The only reason I woke up was because it had rained that night and the water on the street snapped me out of it and I realized where i was. That really scared me. But that hasn't happened in about 4 years. I see a lot of people though. I have conversations with them. Sometimes I'll talk to someone and I won't even feel like I'm me. One time when i was alone in bed before i had a husband or anything. I saw a man in my bed and i got this sensation like I was his wife and started apologizing for a fight we got into then i started telling him we needed to go somewhere and do something. I've chased things into my closets. A lot of times there are violent things. I fall off the bed and feel like i'm being attacked by something under the bed. I feel so ridiculous only children are afraid of nothing under the bed, but i'm a grown woman i should not be having this problem! I've talked to different drs about these things but no one cares. I'm afraid to go to sleep! I've only shared the not so bad ones on here. Just last night i saw a man in the shadows with a knife standing by my bed. I've heard gunshots and saw blood splatter on my walls. I've seen people that looked like they were burned that were breathing strange. I've seen tvs seems to go on and a man with a suit saying that I was going to be attacked then things flying out of the tv and when i run from the room these things are flying all around me. It's so bad that I've lost a lot of sleep over the weekend. i don't understand why no doctors find this important. I've told 2 different psychiatrist and 2 different psychologists. I have told my regular family dr. NO ONE CARES! I'm so frustrated. I just want to be able to rest peacefully. Sometimes I wake up and swear i see every bit of my walls have writing on them. I can have these happen four times a night. It's been happening since I can remember. obviously something is not right and unless u have narcilepsy it seems like nothing can be done for it. If i was sent to get a sleep study what's to say that'll be the night something happens. In general when i'm someplace new it doesn't happen its when i've been there for a while and seem to be comfortable. they aren't going to let me stay for a week for a sleep study. sleep studies are expensive as it is. I'm looking at buying a house within the next year what if this starts happening there so i can't even stand my own house? I'm just having trouble dealing with it. It's embarassing. I'm worried about being hurt or hurting someone. Its so scary. I'm getting anxiety over sleeping. I don't even know if i want to try to sleep tonight but not sleep ever isn't an option. If anyone knows of a cure or some kind of medicine that'll stop this or has had a dr really taken this into consideration and gave them ways to deal with it please reply to this. I NEED HELP! It seems like i'm worse then others because light doesn't help the frequency in a single night and over the amount of years plus they can last what seems like forever. The intensity is amazingly bad. I just feel like a mess. I'm sorry i've rambled on but I dont' know what to do anymore. I can't stand it and it's getting hard to handle.

The lights don't always make things go away for me either. Very rarely do I recognize my own husband when I wake up in the middle of the night, he always takes on a complete strangers face (different every time), nor do I recognize the room I am in until I walk around for a bit. My hallucinations are nearly every night now, a few times a night. The things I see are so real that I intently focus in on them and stare so hard trying to make them disappear, I reach out and touch them trying to prove to myself that they are not really there. It's like it's getting harder and harder to make them go away. Sometimes I hear noises associated with them. Sometimes I can control what happens with the hallucinations and sometimes it's completely strange and off the wall (like something that couldn't have come from my own mind). There have also been quite a few extra disturbing things that I would like to think are just caused by regular nightmares. Only once has it been so bad that I woke up absolutley screaming at the top of my lungs and running out of the room, heart pounding so fast that I couldn't breathe. I'm scared I'm going to start not being able to tell what is real from what is a dream even when I'm awake.