I was writing about my condition as a response to a diff post and also wanted to post it here in the thyroid section, to see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I experience Hypnagogic hallucinations. I have Graves Disease/hyperthyroid and my research tells me that hyperthroid can cause hallucinations, especially if gone untreated. Here is my story:

Hypnagogic hallucinations are hallucinations which occur at the boundary between sleeping and waking. They can occur when people are falling asleep, or when they are starting to wake up, and they tend to be extremely vivid. I will usually have them when I am just about to fall asleep. My brain is in REM mode while I am still conscious and I will see things around my room. It is never frightening or scary imagery. My subconscious will mix fantasy with reality. Last time it happened I saw the closet door open, and seconds later I snapped out of it, and it was closed. I also woke up to find a bunch of purple balloons floating in my bedroom, and when I realized it wasn't real they simply disappeared. When it happens upon waking up for me, the images tend to be linked to whatever I was dreaming. For example, I was dreaming aboutsome crazy zoo thing with abunch of amazona rainforest type vines. I opened my eyes and the lightfixture on theceiling over my bed wascompletely covered invines and they were hanging off of it and dangling down toward me (moving as if alive), and then suddenly vanished when I became fully conscious. Although not scarry in the supernatiral way, they are extremely annoying. I will often have a difficult time falling asleep because it almost always starts to happen and then I am jerked back into being fully awake for a while before finally going to sleep. The only time it was scary was when I hadwatched ahorror movie and started hallucinating inthenight; Iopened my eyes and my dog (a small Yorkie) was sitting uo in front of my face. He was really there, but he looked all gray like he was dusty, and his eyes were all messed up looking asthough he were a zombie dog or something, then I snapped out of it. Again, it was linked to what I had been dreaming, and I had just watched a horror movie the night before so that was on my mind.

Also, more often that "seeing" things, I will become very disoriented and wake up panicked that my baby is in the bed with me and I can't find her - like she is wrapped up in the covers -and I tear the bed apart searching for her before I snap out of it and realize she is in her crib safe and sound. My husband has gotten annoyed with this many times. This happens to me every few days. I will forage through my blankets desperately looking for her - it is always the hallucination that my baby is in trouble. I have also,manytimes, grabbed my husbands arms or legin thenightwhen hewould move and freak out on him because he "will crush the baby." Again,Ialways seem to think that sheisin bedwith us. This is themain reasonwhy I DO NOT let her sleep in bed with us. If I never do it, then I will always know right away that I am hallucinating since it isn't possible that she is actually there. The other night I thought she was stuck between the bars on my vanity chair (which is right next to my bed), like she had crawled through them and gotten stuck, and I was pulling the chair all over the place to "get her loose." I usually feel quite rediculus when I snap out of it. These little "spells" never last more than a few seconds. Maybe 7 or 8 seconds at the maximum. Usually by the time I am able to focus my vision on the imagery I am seeing I realize it isn't real and it fades away. The whole disoriented, panic where I am somewhat sleep walking usually lasts the longest (7 or 8 seconds). Oh, I have also woken up alltheway acrosstheroombefore franticallytrying to findsomething or turnon the lightswitch (no where near where theswitch is actuallylocated.) I guess sleep walking is part of this process. As an adolescent I used to sleep walk, I dream pretty much nightly, and have always talked in my sleep. Myabe that is why I was a perfect candidate for this awesomely annoying sleep disorder.

Ok,so down to the causeof my hallucinations: I have Graves Disease which is a type of hyperthyroidism. I take this nasty medicine called Propylthiouracil (also known as PTU) that has nasty side effects, including what is called "loss of taste" - which is actually the opposite if you ask me - for about an hour after I take it my entire mouth, tongue and taste buds taste like I drank clorox bleach. I do not think that the medicine caused the hallucinations however, as the research I conducted said that hyperthyroidism itself can cause the hallucinations, especially if the medical condition goes untreated. However, I did not start having the hallucinations until a few months after I began taking the medication, and I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism for at least a year before the hallucinations started and before I started the medicine (PTU). So now I am wondering if maybe it is the meds?

Note: I was going through a great deal of stress and became moderately depressed around the time that I began having the hallucinations, so maybe that contributed to them. Lately I have had relief from a great deal of the stress, and have not experienced any hallucinations recently.
ALSO - I take two other medications (for blood pressure) in conjunction with the PTU - so maybe the combination is having an effect on me as well? I take Labetalol and Hydralazine. I have to take these as the hyperthyroidism caused my blood pressure to go out of whack and be high all the time.

Also, I have not been diagnosed with the hallucinations by my doctor as of yet though. This is a self-diagnosis. It really isn't happening as often as it was before, and I did thourough research on it myself and discovered the source. I was also sort of embarrassed at first to tell my dr because I don't want him to think I have a mental disorder (although these hallucinations are actually considered a sleeping disorder). I am not gonna worry about it unless it gets really bad, or becomes frequent. I know what it is, and I take comfort in just that knowledge.

Does anyone else with thyroid issues experience hallucinations, or anything similar to my experiences? If so, did you talk to your dr - what did they say? Did you find anything that helps "get rid" of them? They are not so consistent or scary that I am definitely going to the doctor about this as of yet. I am afraid if I go to the dr I will have to take ANOTHER medication, and I don't want that.

I am also going to post this topic somewhere under sleeping disorders or the like at a different part of this website to see if I can find more answers. Thanks for any info or insight!

I'm hypothyroid and I get hypnagogia. I hear leftover dream voices when I'm just waking up and I have had sleep paralysis a few times. Maybe your meds for hyper are making you hypo, or maybe it's a symptom of both hypo and hyper. They do share a lot of symptoms. Although, I did get hyper once from too high of a dose of thyroid hormone, and I did not get hypnagogia during that time period.

My Mum has been diagnosed with Hyperthyoidism and it has gone untreated for about 2yrs,,,, she's been hallucinating about some one coming after her and her family and recently its been more frequent than before.

the doc says after the surgery she'll be placed on some meds and it will all be over is this true?

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease November 2012.   I had no clue what was happening to me.  My 1st Dr. prescribed Tapazole, which caused me to itch, I was referred to an Endocrinoligist who switched me to PTU.   My thyroid levels were so high she increase my pill intake.  Needless to say, I started having these weird hallucinations and everything tasted like metal.  She reduced my dosage, so hopefully I'll see a difference.   

Thank goodness I found your post.

I have been experiencing the same thing as you. I have been hyperthyroidic for many years now. The first year, I skipped a lot of medication and thought this thing will go away, like flu or something because apart from being tired all the time, I thought my body was behaving normally. I knew I had hyperthyroid and insists it was just a condition, rather than a sickness. But no hallucination. I kept the information from my family Fast forward about a year and a half. I was warded. I was diagnosed with hypokalamic paralysis which is a temporary paralysis due to lack of potassium and I have to come clean on my hyperthyroidism as well because I thought that could be one major factor of the mineral's deficiency. I was confirmed with hyperthyroidism, now my whole family knows and I have been taking medication for about 8 months non-stop now. I took a different meds thought, it's called Carbimazole. But the hallucination just kicked in a few weeks ago. Like you, it was a random thing I saw. It was nothing scary or supernatural. I just switched off my bedroom lights and a few minutes after that, I saw a towel. A few seconds later, it disappeared. I thought it was nothing. The next day, I saw a stalk of rose, the flower disappeared as well. That morning, I contacted a friend of mine who is a doctor. He told me that shouldn't happened. I was afraid to go to the hospital because I thought they might diagnosed me with some kind of mental illness. But a few days after that, he contacted me again and explained to me that hallucination does happen to people with hyperthyroidism. I was a bit relieved. But why so late? Deep down in me, I think it was the side effects of the medication too. The other day, I went to the hospital to get checked because my thyroid gland has grown. So I ask the doctor for confirmation if it's true about the hallucination. He said it is possible. It is called hypnagogic hallucination. I told him about what I saw. Until today, I have been experiencing the hallucination whenever I woke up in the middle of the night. The thing is, before it happened just once, or twice. But these few days, I woke up a lot in the middle of the night and whenever I do, I see things. Most of them are organic shapes now, beautiful, moving, like aurora... some are figures of man and woman, and since I left my bedroom door opened, sometimes it looked like a verandah overlooking a beach. 

I guess we do have the same experience. But my doctor is yet to tell me is it going to go away or not. I have another appointment in a week. I will ask him then. I will let you know how it pans out. Now that I know I'm not the only one, I'm not that worried anymore.

Hi. My friend is on carbimazole for hyperthyroidsm. After a few months of taking them, she started having hallucinations and still is. Just like you they start when she is falling asleep and waking up and are very vivid. whatever she is dreaming is still there when she wakes up e.g people on her wardrobes, cats on her bed, her bedroom furniture all moved around, people standing by her door and just starring at her, to many things to list. Sometimes she can snap out of it and images etc go. Her consultant's know about them and suggest a brain scan!!! She also has a lot of medical conditions including renal dialysis.

I have the same side effects as you, I have these symptoms once a mouth.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have hyperthyroidism caused by occupational exposure from Epoxy Bisphenol A (BPA). For the that 7 years I worked daily with bpa and around 3 years ago I started experiencing visual tricks at first then doors and shadows seemed to produce the most horrific experiences. Well to move forward to June 2014 I went into thyroid storm and spent 8 days in the ICU. These visual issues have continued to this day. October I was then diagnosed with Graves Disease and under went radiation treatment last week. Now I'm having these visual issues at points during the day. I'm going back to my Dr on Tuesday cause now this is down right scary.

I have Graves disease. I have had hallucinations sometime time in the night at least once a week. I've had them while on Tapazole and now they are starting on PTU. I had gone in remission when I was Hypo for about 7 weeks which produced no hallucinations. Hyper returned after the 7 weeks thus the episodes started up again.
So you are not alone. Can't wait to get off the PTU.

I have Graves disease and Hashimoto. Im not medicated because when i treat one the other takes over and they cause opposite symptoms so they want me to do RAI but i havent because i have been able to get it basically under control with the autoimmune paleo diet. Unfortunately even with my blood levels normal i have symptoms just not as severely as when my blood levels are off.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago but ive had hypnogogic hallucinations with sleep paralysis almost every night i try to sleep with the TV off for about 10 years. I also had symptoms back then just normal labs. Sleeping with the tv on is the only thing that helps. That way when the voices and creepy noises start my mind just thinks its the tv and im able to fall the rest of the way asleep. If i dont have the tv on i get wrapped in the hallucinations and can never remember in the moment this is just a hallucination and start panicking like the people whispering are gonna get me or the animal growling or whatever and then i try to sit up and im frozen and then i panic harder and my breath catches and i cant breath and eventually i wake up all the way out of breath and panicky. But with the tv on it doesnt happen thankfully!!