Different schools have different absence policies. Say yours only allows you to make up the work if you have an "excused" absence, meaning sickness, appointment, death, etc. Say your child is an honor student.

Say your spouse were to finally get some vacation time. Say it was during the week into the weekend.

Say your child was going to miss one day of school--to do something highly educational, yet pretty fub.

Do you lie and say he's sick so he can make up the work?

Do you just let him take the "ding" on his grades?

What would you do??

Have you asked if family vacation time can count as "Excused"?

I'd write a letter saying my kid was gonna be gone on this day.

They are your kid, and it's a free country.

They don't have personal days?

I don't know school policy near me, I homeschool my kids. But I guess if there were no personal days available I'd just take him/her with me and he/she would have to make up the work or take the nick in the good grade record.

The damage for missing one day would be minimal anyway, right? They'll be alright.

Well, not to stretch the truth here, but isn't that an "appointment" of sorts?

An appointment is a scheduled event, correct? I'd think your situation would fall in that category. :D

I'd tell them the truth and let them decide if it is excusable...
but what do you mean he is not allowed to make up the work? How do they expect him to learn?

I tell the truth and face the conqeuences, if they are that inflexilble then screw them. Talk to the teachers and see if any arrangements could be made.

If this is Colin and the time is with the major, then tell them it is the least they can do for their country.

In my experience though, most people are flexible about stuff like that and work with you

Any chance you got get the school to let your child do some "extra credit" relating to the extra-school activity so that they the day off could be excused? Something like a report on the historical significance of some place you would visit or something like that. I have heard that some schools allow this.

If it is not an "excused" absence, you can make up the work, but you don't receive credit for the work.

Do they also use thumbscrews at this place? ;)

I think they have had such a huge truancy problem that their policies have become a little strict.

Well, I hope you have a great time! If you're going to be truant, you might as well make it memorable! :D

I can understand that - but at the end of the day, there is a big difference between you taking your son out of school to accompany his father on a pseudo educational adventure than say hanging out with his friends at 31 flavors with neither the school nor you knowing his whereabouts.
I'd be upfront with them, anything else would justify them becoming even more strict...

Do it. If they can't understand, fub them.

You can always turn the tide and ask if the teachers get docked pay for taking personal days for non-educational stuff.