My child's teacher says my nephew has ADHD. Constantly talking & out of his chair. He makes mostly A's & A+'s, on all subjects except citizenship (behaviour). He seems to be easily distracted with what goes on around him and wants to be the first to answer any question. Teacher says he is not on task and talks too much. He is very aware of everything going on and wants to speak an opinion on everything, whether or not it concerns him. He can stay focused on anything that interests' him, like a movie or cartoon for long periods of time. He was born addicted to drugs (mother legally obtained methadone entire pregnancy). Is it possible he has nurological damage? ADHD? Normal for 8 year old?

I am a certificated teacher, with a now 20 year old son who was properly diagnosed with ADHD as a young child. What I find interesting about your son is that he is able to focus enough to earn As in class, fascinating. One factor of diagnosing an ADHD is that the disability keeps him/her from achieving their full potential. Your nephew is achieving academically. It is my believe that he would not be able to do so if he was unable to focus. My suspicion is that he needs a different type of environment than the teacher is offering. For example, she may have an very structured classroom. He may need a daily plan that affords him short periods where he can have movement. The teacher would have to be creative with this so that he would not be disruptive, but constructive with his activities. In today's educational world, the teacher should be very open to this. At the same time, does your nephew need help with appropriate behaviors. He will need to be aware of what is appropriate and where. If he is allow a lot of freedom and unstructured time at home, they may have to work with him on this. That sounds like the bigger issue here. ADHD kids are typically very bright, but unable to focus, thereby negatively impacting their learning ability. This does not sound like the case with your nephew. I hope this helps.

I agree. Change the environment, take away distractions and come up with ways to avoid all the comments directly at class time. Keep him away from windows, computers and other things that may distract him. Have him write down his thoughts and then share them after class or when he returns home. Don't let them tell you he NEEDS medications-this often is just a quick fix for the teachers. Request a 504 from the school, it is his federal right. It should explain approaches that he and the teacher's use to keep him on task. A 504 also helps the teachers be consistant with these approaches. He sounds like a very bright kid, eduate yourself and support him. I suggest going to the library and getting books about 'life without Ritalin' and 'Ritalin is not the answer'. A pill will not teach him how to make responsible choices either in school or in life now or after he is out of school. Good luck.

Can you tell me a little more about what a 504 is? I think that my nephew has ADHD but I don't think that my sister knows what to do with him. I'd appreciate it if you can give me more info. Thanks!

Information on the 504 can be found on the Internet. Schools do not like to do it because it means a lot of extra work on their part so don't let them tell you he doesnt qualify. If he has ADHD he has a federal right to this plan. Each situation may be different on what is in the 504 but for us it was to give teacher's guidelines on how to deal with my son and his ADHD issues and with the long term goal of helping him succeed. The biggest problems we have are: inconsistency with each teacher and how they deal with him, poor communication with us as parents by the teachers and principal (this included 2 weeks one time before I found out he was suspended), lack of education of the teachers on ADHD and how to help him succeed. His program is based not only on what he needs help with but also on his strengths and what works for him. My son actually played a big role in creating his own plan: what I need to work on and how you can help me. That way he takes ownership and learns responsibility.

I wrote a summary of ADHD/ADD based on my now 11 year old son and our trials and discoveries.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/ADHD_ADD__Natural_Remedies__Diet__Behavioral_Modification__Pharmaceutical_drugs_and_symptons_t218614.html