I was thinking about quitting my job and going to school full time to become something, but I don't know what. Or are there any right now?

Independent Newspaper Contracting.

(all you need is a bike and 'Will-do' attitude!)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd become a pharmacist. Everybody and their dog is on some sort of drug anymore.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Except I see a trend in 24 hour pharmacies, and I'd get stuck working the night shift. So forgetaboutit.

pharmacy school=no fun, and lots and lots and lots of work.

My wife is friends with several people who went to pharmacy school. They all got great jobs after college, making good money, but they all hate them. Not one person who went into pharmacy is happy with their career, but they stay in it for the $$.

What's hot? Recreation.

Really. As all these Babyboomers start retiring, all those savings accounts are going to be cashed in and turned into Harleys, RVs, timeshares, golf clubs, whatever. So golf course superintendents, resort management, travel planning... that's what I figure is hot.

Are you talking retail pharmacists? I train pharmacists along with other pharmacy employees in the long term care industry (think nursing/retirement homes and acute & skilled care facilities), and they are all very happy with their jobs. But then unlike retail, they don't have to deal with the public, just internal pharmacy employees.
My recommendation? Go into teaching. Neverending supply of customers, plus all the time off! And the time to get the classes you need, depending on your educational experience, is often not too bad. For instance, I am seeking my certification in business education, and going P/T it's going to take me less than two years, despite needing a LOT of foundation courses because my non-business education undergrad majors.

elkid... What level are you aiming to teach? H/S, jr college, the U? My favorite profs at the U were those who'd been "in the trenches" first and went into edu later in life. Always been a backburner second career idea in my mind too.

Ah yes, gonna get my Masters and Phd some day, so I can become a prof. However, I gotta stop having kids first, so I can afford grad school.

Yes, they are retail pharmacists. And they hate it. They talk about customers they have... 8O
Yikes!

Achey if you're gonna quit to go to school full time don't pick a career based on what's hot. By the time you acquire your degree it probably won't be hot anyways. Pick something that you enjoy doing.

:1:

Price checker at the dollar store?

Yikes!
My sister-in-law is a pharmacists and she loves her job she works at Meijer now but when she worked for CVS she didnt like it because she was also like a store manager and had all the other BS to worry about, now she is able to just concentrate on being a pharmacist.

My sister is a pharmacist and she hates her career choice. She has worked in just about every area that a pharmacist can and still!
My husband says she is just tired of counting. :P