My friend complained about persistent pain so he visited his doctor. He prescribed his Hydrocodone, medicine that I have heard before. I want to know about this drug because I worry about my friend. I know just that is kind of narcotics, so I cannot stop myself thinking if he will addict. Can you tell me if this is possible with Hydrocodone?

Hydrocodone is a drug related to codeine, and is in a class of drugs called narcotic analgesics. It relieves pain, and yes, Hydrocodone is habit forming. It is possible tobecome physically and psychologically dependent on this medication. That is why he should find it important not to take more than the prescribed amount of medication. Moreover, he should not take it for longer, than is directed by his doctor. Withdrawal effects may occur if Hydrocodone is stopped suddenly after several weeks of continuous use. That is why his doctor may recommend a gradual reduction in dose. Tell your friend to avoid alcohol while taking Hydrocodone, because it can increase drowsiness and dizziness. Those are side effects caused by this medication, possibly resulting in unconsciousness and death. Hydrocodone may cause constipation, so tell him to drink plenty of water, even six to eight full glasses a day to lessen this side effect. He should know that increased fiber in the diet may also help to alleviate constipation. f he experience any of side effects such as allergic reaction with its symptoms, slow, weak breathing, cold, clammy skin severe weakness or dizziness, he should stop taking Hydrocodone.