Good day everyone. More than one month ago I had bypass surgery. My recovery process was pretty fine. I was fine. But, I need to confess you that I notice a big changes in my behavior. I don't know what is going on with me, but I am crying for almost everything. Next thing, I can't sleep. I wake up in the night and I am sitting in the living room doing nothing. Next day I hate everyone, and I just want everyone to leave me alone.

I really don't know what to do. Is this normal and what can I do to become normal person, like I used to be? 

Have you been introduced to "cardiac rehab"?  If not you should ask about it. I strongly recommend going there. They will keep you busy with exercises that truly help while making you feel better about yourself and everything. I liked it so much I stuck with the exercise program for about 5 years after my bypass.

If I had any anger I certainly had a place to aim it courtesy of the state Medicaid program. I came home on Tuesday and on Friday my mother's hip broke and she ended up in a nursing home on Medicaid. I had to deal with the states head Medicaid witch/b***h for weeks getting her entered.

When they said they wanted me to take a stress test before entering cardiac rehab I told them I had been taking one ever since I got out of the hospital.

Hello Guest and njoynlife,

This is a very common thing in people who had heart bypass done or any other open heart surgery.

Your lifestyle is changing, you can no longer do things that you could do with ease before the surgery and it causes one to stress out and it causes mood swings, just like the ones that you are having. You need to stop thinking about your condition and instead do something about it.

Cardiac rehab, the thing that njoynlife told you about above, is a great type of rehab course for people who had different kind of heart surgeries done, this could help you a lot.

Hey. Never heard of it. To be completely honest with you. I don't know what cardiac rehabilitation means... :/ Who I should ask for this? If this can help me I would be glad to go there. As you have a lot of experience as I can see from your post with heart issues and bypass surgeries, I need you to tell me honestly is this cardiac rehab safe? I assume that it is, but I don't know what they going to do with me there.
Trust me I would do anything just to be person like I was before...
Thank you so much.

Hello there.

It is totally normal to have changes in the behavior after this surgery. I know a lot of people who had heart bypass surgery and they were feeling really bad after it. Some people are in the really huge depression and they are finding the best way to recover from it.

The most important thing is to struggle, to talk to someone who you love and how you trust. Maybe this is some of your family members or your friends?

I agree that cardiac rehab is definitely the best option ever. You should consider to have it.

Good luck. 

Hello again Guest,

Cardiac rehabilitation is a great thing for people who had any kind of heart surgeries. Usually, after these kind of surgeries a person can't go back to how he used to be in months or even years. That's when cardiac rehab comes into the story.

Cardiac rehab is a type of a course where you have professional exercise trainers and dietitians who are going to help you with everything that you need to know about how to get back to being old you. They are going to tell you what foods you should eat, how should you exercise and they are going to take good care of you.

Hello guys,

It's quite a normal thing to happen to someone who had heart bypass. But to be honest with you, being mad at yourself and everybody around you is really a question of your attitude and you got a really bad attitude there. I know it is hard, I've been through this myself, but you need to be strong and you need to pull yourself out of that place where you are stuck now.

Try to walk a bit every day. Take small steps, go to the end of your yard today (if you have a yard), to the end of your street tomorrow, make some progress.

Cardiac rehab is a program at most hospitals or other medical/exercise facilities where you are coached through an exercise program by specialized nurses/technicians to bring you back to as normal as you can be. They monitor your vital signs as you do the exercises to assure that you are doing well and it makes you feel better physically and mentally as you learn what you are able to do.

My doctor prescribed it for me so my insurance company paid for it as a follow up to the surgery. when the insurance stopped paying I paid for it myself and stayed in the program for another five years.

Hello everyone,

Yes, I've seen this kind of behavior already in people who had heart bypass done, it isn't uncommon at all.

Well, if you ask me, you have two possible options. First would be to go to cardiac rehab which is definitely the easier option. This rehab thing lasts for about 3-6 months but with some people it can even last years, please don't be like those people. Your second option is to try and work this out on your own. Make your own healthy diet, choose your own exercising program and don't back down, trust me, you can do it.

Hello there. I can see that you are having a lot of good and positive words to say about cardiac rehab. I also believe that this is a good idea - that this rehab can help you a lot, that you can feel much better after it. But my friend Alan told me that he was depressed after this rehab as well. I want to know is there any way that something went wrong, that they did something that they should not do or? He was really bad. Something definitely was not good...

Hi. I want to tell you what has happened to me. When I had my third bypass surgery, I was really out of my mind. I hated everyone, I was fighting with everyone and very soon, I became depressed and I just wanted everyone to leave me alone. I didn't know what is going on, so I have decided to seek for medical help immediately because I saw that I am destroying my life and my family's life as well. They send me to the cardiac rehab and I was feeling much, much better after this. I would like to recommend it to everyone.