Hi everyone,

I recently had a heart attack, two months ago actually, and after that happened, I am not really in the mood for doing anything. I don't really feel well as well, that might partly be the reason why everyone says I became lazy.

Now there were some relatives that came to see how I was and they suggested that I go to cardiac rehab. I doubt that I need that but they were really positive and stubborn about this thing.

What can you tell me about it, would it be a smart thing for me to do, could it help me?

Hey Stradivarius,

I honestly believe that this is a very good option for people who had a heart attack or heart surgery. It usually lasts between three to six months and includes working with a team of health care professionals, including cardiologists, nurse educators, dietitians, exercise rehabilitation specialists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists.

You are going to work in a team with these professionals and other people with similar conditions like yours. You are going to be shown how to exercise, how much to eat and what to eat, they are going to show you everything that you need to know about behaving and living after your heart attack.

Hi you two,

Health n Joy is right, cardiac rehab is a smart thing to do for anybody with heart problems. 

Cardiac rehab usually has four main parts:

First is your medical evaluation, this will help your health care team check your physical abilities, medical limitations and other conditions you may have, and keep track of your progress over time.

The second one is physical activity, this will improve your cardiovascular fitness through walking, cycling, rowing, or even jogging and other endurance activities.

The third one is lifestyle education, teaching you what to eat.

And the fourth part is support, you will have people who will be there to help you in any way you need them to.

Hey Stradivarius,

I'll agree with people who wrote to you above me, I think you should give cardiac rehab a try.

It is not easy, it requires a strong mental preparedness and a strong will. As Health n Joy wrote, you will be taught how to eat and how to exercise. 

Now the most important part about this rehabilitation is that you need to continue to do what you learned during cardiac rehab after the program is done. It is actually the main reason why you would go to cardiac rehab in the first place, to learn how to eat and exercise in this new and different period of your life.

I agree, you definitely should do it. My insurance paid for me to because my doctor prescribed it and I got him to prescribe a second round after the first 13 weeks. Then I paid for it myself for several years. Besides equipping me to live life after the bypass surgery it was a lot of fun. Most of the others there were old school mates and childhood friends.

The best part is it shows you you still have a life and can do a lot more than you probably thought you could. I was in the best shape I'd ever been from all the exercise.

I met the woman who runs it a few days ago in the supermarket and we talked for a minute or so. She's the one who hit me with "How's your sex life?" as the first question during the intake interview.

Good day everyone.

I sincerely hope that you are doing fine now. I believe that cardiac rehab is the best option that you can do. When I got my first heart attack, I was thinking if cardiac rehab is necessary for me or not. I was thinking about it and my friend told me that this is maybe the smartest idea for me.

I was sick about the idea that I need to stay in the hospital where everything begins, but when I saw that people don’t care about their own health and they die because of it, I decided to do it. I am not sorry at all.

You should definitely go with a cardiac rehab.

Good day everyone. Well, in my opinion this is not a “bothering”. It is something that you need to do. I don’t know how old are you but I do know that cardiac rehabilitation offers many health benefits to people with heart problems – it doesn’t matter how old they are actually. Nothing bad can’t happen to you, you can just have a lot of benefits from cardiac rehab. You should know that taking very active role in your care will help you enjoy a healthier future and I am sure that you are going to be safer. If you know your goals, making changes in your life and in your health generally can only help you.

Hi guys. I was always sure that cardiac rehab is something that every patient who had heart attack needs to go through. Now I can see that I was wrong.

In my opinion I don’t see any reason why you should think is cardiac rehab good or not. This is something that you need to do if you want to recover well, like you want.

It is very important to stay in hospital for a couple of days until you are totally better.

You will learn a new things, for example how to eat, what to eat, how to exercise and what exercises are good for you, what diet program is good for you.

Cardiac rehab is actually a great thing.

Hey there. It is definitely a good option. Personally, I never was too impressed with cardiac rehab, but when my friend had a heart attack I saw that cardiac rehab was the best thing in his recovery.

I need to confess that I still don’t think that it is amazing thing, but I am sure that patients who went through it were more confident and it definitely reduced their pain.

My friend told me that with other patients and all those doctors, everything was fun as well.

The truth is that this costs a bit, but it is worthy and necessary.