I need advice. I am seriously overweight. I tried many things and nothing helped. I exercise some and trying not to eat too much, but it does NOT help!!! I am still overweight… What is gastric bypass and how much does it cost?
Thanks for advice!

Hi there!
Gastric Bypass is the last thing I would recommend you. This is a real operation with pain and everything that goes along. And risk, there are big risks!!! Have you talked to your doctor? You must advise your doc before taking any action. Did you have any obesity treatments in a hospital before. The
This is not inexpensive operation- it costs more than 20.000 $ !!! Gastric Bypass is for extremely obese people with body mass index more than 40. It means they are around 100 lbs overweight. Besides that Gastric Bypass is used when other more conventional weight loss programmes have been tried and failed. Plus candidates for Gastric Bypass must generally have severe obesity-related health problems. Are you a part of this group? This is a major operation that will change your life- you shall probably have to use all kinds of supplements to provide basic nutrition, which cannot be ingested during normal food consumption. This is a big step and consumption of food you will be able to eat shall decrease dramatically. But besides that long-term consequences for the body are still not known since this procedure is relatively new.

At 2 yrs/2 mos post Gastric Bypass, I am a success story. While the procedure is not for everyone, for me me it was a new lease on life. I entered the program where I attended sessions with experienced medical professionals and most importantly, a licensed Nutritionalist. I was educated on the pros/cons/do and dont's. I followed every guideline I was given and have done very well thus far. When approached, I never tell anyone to have the surgery because I did and I am a success story but what I DO encourage is that each individual at least think seriously about his or her personal issues and how obesity is impacting life (health-wise, foremost). As any experienced Nutrionalist or surgeon who performs the Gastric Bypass procedure will tell you, it is a "TOOL" only and after you have lost the initial bulk of weight, you will need to follow the guideline for the remainder of your life which means eating foods to supply protein and leaving off sweets and the foods that contain high startches, hidden sugars, etc. I still am forced to think about what I'm eating when I am putting each bite into my mouth. Otherwise, I will gain the weight back.

I would sugest anyone thinking of having the procedure, each day as you encounter people, try to find others who have had the proedure. Discuss in detail with each person who has already been down that road. Gather as much experience, kno 8) 8) wledge as you can and then make an "informed" decision. Good luck with whatever you decide to do but I would encourage you to find a way that works for you to decrease your body weight for many reasons.