Hi. I need someone who has a lot of experience with heart diseases and heart issues. I need to consult with someone and I just can’t talk with my friends anymore about this because they don’t want to talk with me anymore. They told me that I am worried too much and that I should not search on the internet anymore.

I need someone who understands me. Here is what I want to know.

I was reading something about heart bypass because that is waiting for me in five days. I won’t talk anymore so I will ask you concrete question – are there a permanent personality changes after heart bypass?

Hey there Guest.

I don’t think that this is possible. I know that so far no studies show that some person is going to change his personality completely after heart surgery. That is a little bit impossible.

The truth is that maybe you are going to feel a bit strange, you are going to be tired and maybe you can be grumpy. But that is all and that is because you are still in the pain.

I don’t believe that you can change your behavior totally. 

Do you know any case where someone became totally different than before, because I don’t know?

Look, I have to disagree with you Aurora. Heart surgery can change someone’s personality. It is pretty much the same like any other psy trauma.

Usually those changes are in the brain and they are related to the surgery. Well, they can cause maybe personality changes, but usually that is related with shock.

Also, depression can play huge role in changing some personality after the surgery. Actually, it is very common that patients feel very helpless or even scared.

So people can change after heart attack and heart surgery a lot. They need to have a big support after it.

Hey there everyone.
Make Me coffee, thank you for your comment. I need to tell you that today I had my bypass surgery and now I am in the hospital. I am feeling strange totally and I don’t know what to do. Thx God that they gave me to use my phone. I would be like crazy without it.
Anyway, after my surgery I am crying a lot and I do feel a little bit depressed. I am scared a lot that something like this is going to happen to me again and that I am going to die.
I don’t know what to do, should I tell my doctors how I feel?

Of course that depression can lead to personality changes but it doesn’t meant that they have to be permanent. For example I have a friend and her husband had 5 heart surgeries and after the 5th surgery he drastically changed his behavior. He was completely different and she told me that he is not the same person like he used to be. He had some problem with his aggression but he also had anger problem. He was completely different. She told me that she is sad because she lost her good friend.

I will tell you one advice – you need to have someone around you who is going to help you during your recovery process.