Hello everyone,

I have this friend who I spend a lot of time with. Recently, he had a heart bypass done and everything turned out well. 

Now he is spending some time each day with me at my home, we sit, talk and watch football, and during all of this time he is complaining about his cold numb legs and asking me when will this go away, even though he knows that I have no clue about this. He thinks that this probably has something to do with his heart bypass.

So does anyone know anything about this matter, when will this go away?

Hi Health n Joy,

I don't really think that this is going to go away. He probably injured one of his nerves during the surgery. This is called Meralgia paraesthetica. This can be treated and the treatment might last from several weeks to several months, regarding the level of the nerve injury.

He should talk to his doctor about this matter. There are numerous ways of treating this and he needs to talk to his doctor in order to get the right treatment for his condition. Most of the time, only certain drugs are used in order to treat this, anti inflammatory drugs in most cases.

Hi guys,

I don't think that the answer to this question has anything to do with your friend's heart bypass. I don't have any experience with either of these things, but I have a friend who had had a heart bypass done and he never said anything about cold numb legs.

Now that I've read your post, Stradivarius, I searched on the internet about Meralgia paraesthetica and I believe that this is something that your friend should pay attention to, Health n Joy. This might easily be what's causing his legs to become cold and numb. He should definitely talk to his doctor about this matter.

Hello everyone,

Well, I had my heart bypass done a few years back and I have never had this type of feeling in my legs afterwards, they weren't cold and numb at any moment so I'm guessing that this doesn't really have anything to do with heart bypass either, or this might be just the case for me.

Your friend should talk to his doctor about this matter. Since a few of us think that this isn't related to his heart bypass and others also mentioned a name of a different condition, it would be wise of him to talk to his doctor and figure out what's going on.

Hello everyone.

First I hope that he is getting OK after by pass and numbness in legs after it. But I can assure you that this feeling will go away after a while. My mom had exactly the same problem with her hand, actually with her two fingers on right hand after heart bypass and it lasted almost a whole month. But after almost 4 months this numbness just gone away. Now everything is fine but I believe that this is not a good feeling. It is not pleasant at all.

This is very common feeling for everyone who had heart bypass surgery.

Hey everyone.

I have to disagree with someone in here. For example, I will tell you one story that was not that normal like you think. My good friend has this situation as well. Four years ago she had heart bypass surgery. Very soon after the surgery she started to have some cold numbness in legs and she was thinking that this will go away, just like someone told you. But no – that didn’t happen even the four months later, four months after the surgery.  So she went to see her doctor and you know what she found out? That during the surgery some nerve was damaged and that was the main cause.

So you need to check this because sometimes it won’t go away.

Really? I didn’t know that this can happen. I believe that this is really dangerous. Ok, if I change my opinion than you should do something about this very soon. If you feel cold numbness in your legs you should call your doctor immediately. Now I was reading about this a little bit and I can see that damaged nerve is extremely dangerous and it can cause some bad issues with your health generally.

So whenever you notice this you should definitely do some analyses. I really hope that you don’t have any problems with damaged nerves.