I have had carotiditis( an inflammation of the carotid artery in then neck) all my adult life but have not had an episode for years until recently. The doctor I went to about laughed me out of his offce stating there is no such thing as carotiditis. He left me to suffer in horrible pain. The symptoms include a feeling of something being in your thraot or difficulty swallowing. Then some pain in the neck and eventually both your jaws feel like something exploded in them and the neck where the carotid artery is is also very painful. It can flare up if I turn my head wrong or sleep a cerain way. Why was I misinformed? How come doctors don't seem to know abuot this condition? How is it treated?

Not all doctors know about diseases and obviously some do not have any idea what they are talking about. I think that you need to see a different doctor. See if you can find someone who understands your condition and can help you out. Misdiagnosis or not, you deserve help! What do you think about that?

I just found out my brother has it. His doctor misdiagnoised his also. The doctor told him he had swimmer's ear because he felt the pain in the back of his ear. He went to another doctor that knew what it was and prescribed prendnezone. He is in alot of pain and takes 800 mg. motrin. That helps some. He was told that it is something he will have to live with.

I also have this condition and it is not very common. The symptoms are also not the same for everyone. I have severe miagranes with mine. They treat me with a steroid dose pack. I took the first pack and it was 7 weeks before I had another episode. I then took another dose pack 2 weeks ago and have not had another episode since. The doctor that diagnosed me was a pain management specialist and the only way to confirm the diagnoses is to biopsy the artery.

My niece and I both have this. I hope that you got a different doctor. I finally found one that understands and is trying to help. I was told I had chronic mononucleosis. New doctor starting doing tests and now I am on the road to getting help (I hope)! I don't know how they will treat it yet. They are doing more blood tests, more sonograms...maybe I will have some info to share soon!

I also have it. It showed up on an mra of my neck. My ana was negative.and the neurologist.washed her hands of me.