My mother has atherosclerosis. I know that atherosclerosis is one of the main causes of coronary artery disease. I’m worried that she will get this disease. She is taking certain medications and goes to doctor regularly. Still, I’m worried. I’m wondering what percent blockage of a coronary artery is considered to be dangerous?

As you know, the atherosclerotic process causes narrowing in one or more coronary arteries. When coronary arteries narrow more than 50 to 70%, the blood supply beyond the plaque becomes inadequate to meet the increased oxygen demand during exercise. Patients often experience chest pain when the blood oxygen supply cannot keep up with demand.

Hello ina,

Coronary artery disease is atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries which is responsible for producing blockages in the vessels which nourish the heart itself. Without normal blood flow from the coronary arteries the heart becomes lack of oxygen and vital nutrients which it needs to work properly. And, as shayne already said, when 50 percent of artery becomes blocked, there is a very major reason for concern.

The most common procedures to treat coronary artery disease include balloon angioplasty, stent placement, and coronary artery bypass surgery. All of these procedures should increase blood supply to your mother’s heart, but you must be aware that they do not cure coronary heart disease. Your grandmother will need to decrease her risk factors to prevent future disease, so do keep her health monitored.

I have 69% blockage in carotid artery, dr. tells me their is nothing to worry about.

The carotid artery is in the neck and provides blood to the brain, not the heart. Therefore is not coronary artery disease.

Your 69% blockage was deterimined by what kind of procedure? If it was by ultrasound they can be off either way and it is best determined by having a 4-vessel arteriogram where they place a small catheter in each vesell and inject dye.
It is also highly dependent on where your blockage actually is. Your carotid divides into two different arteries at the carotid bulb. One artery supplies blood to the brain and is called the internal carotid artery while the other suplies the
face, scalp and other less important places than the brain. Find out if it is in the internal or external artery or both. With basically a 70% blockage it definately needs to be monitered closely as to prevent a stroke.

Incorrect, CAD Stent is not indicated until the artery blockage is great than 70%.

Doctors usually misguide the patient by numbers that your blockge is 70%.
70% blockage is normal .You have to drink only warm water as you drink tea and please quit tea for two months.
Take 75% of your diet as salad.
Eat before 11.am in the morning and before sunset in the evening.
After two months your blockage will normal with guarranty.

My doctor told me that my branch artery is 95% blocked and yet I have very little or no chest pain at all how could this be???

Hector. My doctor told me that.I have 70% blockage in my branch arthery another doctor told me that. I have 95% all this was after I had a catherization who's right who do. I believe.?

does that mean don't drink tea? I drink green tea started 3 months ago when i dropped coffee? I have no issues following diets , but I've never heard anyone make this sound so easy?
how did you come up with this ,anything i can read to back this up?

Chest pains are not going to be the symptom, the symptom will be a TIA, and thea sore neck, you can have a stroke at 95%. You need a second opnion, 70 - 80 is really bad, but 95 is very serious. Good Luck and get it looked at by someone else. A second opinion can save lives

I just had a carotid artery ultrasound for Health Insurance qualification purposes. My numbers are 0-15%.
Mild.plaque. My insurance Co. is now putting me in a High Risk category (very expensive) because
they are saying I have carotid Artery disease. Would you agree with this?