Hi everyone,

I have a question to ask. Apparently, my father has his arteries blocked and has to have a surgical procedure done called carotid endarterectomy. Seems like he is also very prone of having a stroke and that is why his doctor told him that he should have this procedure done. He went to a few tests so I doubt this doctors decision.

I don't know much about this surgery, actually, I don't know anything regarding this process, I only know why is it done for so I was hoping that some of you might tell me what can my father expect during this procedure?

Hey Guest,

It's not much of a surgery if you look at the level of how complicated it is to do.

A carotid endarterectomy is performed in a sterile surgical suite or standard operating room. Your father may go home the same day or stay 1–2 nights after the procedure depending on his medical condition. 

He will receive a local anesthetic or general anesthesia. His vascular surgeon makes an incision at the front of his neck. After removing the plaque from the artery his vascular surgeon repairs the artery by stitching in a natural graft (formed from a piece of vein from elsewhere in his body) or a woven patch. The incision is then closed.

Hi guys,

Stradivarius gave you a good explanation there, I don't think there's more to this procedure.

However, even though it is that simple, it still carries some risks like any other surgical procedure with stroke probably being the biggest risk. Stroke occurs in 2–3% of patients with no pre-procedure symptoms; in 5–7% of patients with pre-procedure symptoms such as stroke, mini-stroke or TIA (transient ischemic attack). After the operation your father will be asked to move his arms and legs so he can be examined by nurses and doctors to make sure that he has not had any new stroke symptoms. 

Hi Guest,

I don't know, 2-3% people who didn't have any symptoms before the procedure, that doesn't sound too safe to me. It is, let's say, 3 in every 100 people to have complications during this procedure, it isn't really a good number. Well, if your father is to have this surgical procedure done, let him have it done. I'm not doubting at all that his doctor knows the best. Anyway, he has his arteries blocked up badly if he needs this procedure and it is basically the only procedure which can help.

I hope everything works out to be okay for him.

Good day folks. As you already know, carotid endarterectomy is done in the hospital. They will put you under the anesthesia and during this surgery you won’t feel any kind of pain. Generally, anesthesia temporarily puts you to sleep and local anesthesia numbs only certain parts of your body. Well, they will probably give you general anesthesia. Now, your surgeon will decide which anesthesia is better for you and this will allow your surgeon to check your brains reaction during the surgery. You can expect that everything will be fine because as far as I know, this is not very complicated procedure.

Hi friends. Here is what you can expect from it. Actually, a carotid endarterectomy is a type of surgery that doctors use to remove plaque from the carotid artery. It is the third most common kind of cardiovascular surgery in the United States, so I think that there is no reason for you to be that scared. Now, during this operation, the surgeon peels the plaque away from the carotid artery. Once the plaque is removed from the carotid artery, more oxygen-rich blood can flow through the artery to the brain, reducing the risk of stroke. This procedure is not that simple, but doctors are doing it a lot!

Good day. It is known that this procedure can actually reduce the risk of the stroke in the people who are having problems with carotid artery disease. The surgery is safe when it is done by the doctors who have experience with this procedure. Now, serious complications can happen and you need to be prepared to them. Those complications can lead to stroke or worse - to the death. When someone is dealing with any heart disease, it should ask the doctor is carotid endarterectomy a good option for him. If you need to do this procedure you will have to quit smoking as soon as possible - if you are smoking, of course.