I was being evaluated for a black out spell last week. My doctor required a brain scan and a carotid artery test, a Holter monitor test, an EKG and a blood sugar test. He says he doesn't know why I passed out a week ago, and he needs all these tests to find out. Eventually he said that could be syncope, the transient loss of consciousness. I was little disappointed with him. Should I fire him?

I don’t think that you should fire your doctor because of his less than exemplary workup of your syncope. However, he did few mistakes that doctors commit when evaluating syncope. He ordered a carotid study and a carotid artery disease does not cause syncope. If he thinks you might have had a heart arrhythmia that produced syncope, you need to be in the hospital, although there are several causes of syncope that are far more serious including potentially lethal cardiac arrhythmias. I wouldn't be surprised if he committed the fourth error as well, but it wouldn't be fair to convict him of this one with the information you've supplied.

Yes, fire him.

I hope you did!

He SHOULD have given you a TILT TABLE TEST. Any patient fainting should be given this test. It is irresponsible he didn't do it.

I went for 5 years being tested with every test on the planet EXCEPT the tilt table test. I was told I was "fine" and an over emotional female and that's why I fainted. One of those doctors was the head of cardiology at Johns Hopkins. Turns out I have Vasovagal syncope.

Sycope simply means "fainting." Your doctor gave you a half ass diagnosis.