I need help! I'm almost 23. I took the depo shot for only 6 months and stopped because my hair started falling out dramatically. How long will it take before my hair stops falling out and when or will it grow back! Please I'm desperate and I'm afraid to wash my hair for fear of feeling it run down my back. I don't want to lose my hair! If my doctor would've informed me that 1 out of 5 women have hair loss or no hair growth, I would've never have gotten the shot. I wish I never did and I want to have my regular periods back again. Please someone help me...

ShaustyPerk

I've been taking the shot for 3 months now .. recently got my 2nd shot couple weeks ago. And my hair has been falling out dramatically. It scares me so much. NO matter if i wash it have it in a pony tail run my fingers through them. and chunk of hair is in my hands. I agree with you. my doctor never told me how serious the hair loss side effect was. never mentioned it at all. Ive read that it takes 6-9 months for your hair to start growing back. I wish you the best of luck!

I am 23 as well and have recently run into the unfortunate side effect. I have been on the shot for nearly 3 years and have been told that my delayed reaction to the shot was possibly triggered by stress. It was a sad day in the neighborhood when I realized my long thick hair was turning into a paper thin ponytail. My last shot was Dec 08. My hair is growing back but is definately not where it used to be. It's so bad I even thought of cutting it but decided to braid it and wait it out instead. >:(

I just recently found about 3 huge bald spots in my hair at first they were small, but after I recieved another depo shot, the spots became bigger. Its been about two years on the shot, and I refuse to get another one. the messed up thing is that it doesnt officially leave your system untill six months after taking the shot. I hope all goes well for everyone, I'm only 23 and the fact that I see the spots I'm becoming stressed which isn't helping. I can's wait for a period, I dont even like brushing my hair. :'(

I wish someone would answer this to see when does your hair grow back! I've gotten the depo shot before and my hair didnt fall out, but recently got back on the shot and my hair has been falling out like crazy! I am scared to comb my hair and wash it. Im scared im going to go bald!

Hi girls. I am just experiencing this unfortunate side effect as well. My hair is falling out all over the place. If i lean my head back on my car neck support it is covered in hair after I get out of the car! YIKES! I am currently taking iron supplements to possibly help reduce this problem but so far no luck. I am scared to brush my hair or even style it. I really noticed the hair loss after my second shot and undoubtedly my LAST! Good luck to everybody...I really wish my doctor had informed me of this!

I have the same problem I thought it was just stress because my hair its just breaking, but it still grows out. My hair has fell out in chunks but then it grows back more. I'm just going to get of the shot and take hair vitamins. I'm also getting off to lose this extra weight I gained. Good, luck!

i am 18 and i need help.i've been on depo for six months and i didn't go back for my next shoot.my hair is falling out to the point where it is half its normal thickness and my hair was THICK . i am constantly having my period and its heavy i need fix it now i leave for  boot camp in julyi can't have this going on or i'll get kicked out

Girls, I can help! I am 18 and took the shot for 6 months exactly one year ago ( Last June). I had dramatic hair loss my thick hair went from thick to thin extremely fast. I was so devastated I immediately got off the shot. It also made me gain some extra pounds. Since the shot I have now started having thyroid problems and my T3 is low. I visited a very high end hormone doctor and he prescribed me with armour thryoid taking 3 a day AND taking iodine (last November). After about one month I started seeing less and less hair fall out and it began growing normally again. I also noticed it was less dry and dead. Along with my thyroid medicine I took Pre Natal, One-A-Day, and biotin vitamins to increase hair growth and health. It worked very much for me and now my hair is finally long and thick again. Don't give up, hair growth takes time! hang in there.

omg i am 21 i was on the depo for 6 months as well i have two huge bald spot one has alreafy grew back but the one in the back is still bald as ever i was on the depo once before and this never happen no one informed of this problem either i am so upset i cant even wear myhair in a ponytail it is still bald. goodluck ladies i have been taking biotin and it has helped a little but ive been off depo since march 2012 and my hair still hasnt grown back ! smh

Hi Ladies,

I am 19 and I just recently got my 3rd Depo shot and I am asking my self why? When I first got on depo I experienced a 32 day long period, I said I would never get another shot again. However my doctor kept encouraging me to just try it out again and so I did. About 3weeks after my 3rd shot my hair began to fall out. My edges are dry and have bald spots, is anyone else's hair just falling out on the sides? My shot won't be out of my system until early 2013 but I just hope I don't experience anymore hair loss.. 

hi girls. im 22 and i have been experiencing a lot of hair loss on depo. its been worse recently, however, so i am unsure if it actually the depo or not, but i have certainly been more aware of hair loss since i began a year ago. my hair is so thin, i ve to wear it all to one side, and it still doesnt look like what 'normal' hair looks like on one side.

anyway, i was wondering, what 'pattern' of hair loss have you experienced? i have read a few of you have said patches or areas, but mine is a general all-over thinning. anyone else closer to my experience?

please let me know! 

hey ladies, I am 29 and recently had my 2nd child a little over 7 months ago. Before I left the hospital the doctor asked me about getting the depo shot just until I could get my mirana put in at my 6 wk ck up.... i had never before had the shot but agreed bcus it would only be once and she ensured me that I would not gain weight off of getting it only once and plus it would last me 3 months to ensure I wouldnt get pregnant in the meantime. At my 6 wk chk up I got the mirena and did think nothing of the shot bcus I didnt have to get another.  Well, at exactly 3 months after my son was born, my hair started to shed like crazy. After two weeks of hair loss my husband asked me what was going on and I couldnt explain it! I was freaked out. This didnt happen to me after my first son.  I got the mirena taken out bcus I thought it had to do with having it but as I did more and more research I now realize that it was the shot that did it.  My front sides were almost bald and I have never been so embarrassed in my life! I have to wear my hair up to work and you can only imagine how I felt walking around like this. Fortunately, I went to the derm and he ensured me that my hair would grow baack bcus what I was experiencing was NON-SCARING alopecia and thank God two months ago the shedding stopped and now I have little hairs all over my head. I can't wait until my hair is back to where it use to be and I can promise I will never ever get the shot again!!! ( I am now using pills for BC, my doctor suggested ortho-lo and so far so good)

i have the same problem all my all my hair fall out and it never grown back it been 13 year and some time i can ir periods and sometime i do not

Hi I am a 27 year old African American female and I have been on Depo on and off for the past 2 years. My doctor just as everyone else did not mention the tremendous hair loss that would be cause by this contraceptive. The middle of my head is bald basically peach fuzz and is spreading larger. I have been off the shot for almost 4 months now and the balding area is still spreading. I hate it. I used to have long thick hair and now I keep cutting it in hopes of it growing back and its not. I wear sew-in weaves to give the area a break and it still will not grow.