I woke up this morning and over half of my eyelashes on my upper right eyelid were completely gone. My eye was irritated last night, and I was rubbing my eye. But never did I expect to see my eyes this morning? Please help. Will my eyelashes grow back? And how long will it take if they do?

You need to see a doctor and determine what happened. You don’t see this happening every day, do you?
There is a disease called Alopecia areata that causes hair loss, both on scalp and other body parts. Hairs that fell off due to this disease can re-grow and eyelashes can also re-grow but it is a long process because these are the slowest growing hair follicles.
Once they have re-grown, they may be more brittle, which may in return lead to their loss again. It is important you wore eyeglasses and protected them from the sun.

I've been pulling my eyelashes and eyebrows for almost 15 years of my life! I have gone through everything, therapy, at home treatments, trying to keep my hands busy, and just trying to stop cold turkey. Well a couple years ago I just got so fed up with putting on fake eyelashes and drawing on my eyebrows so I decided to quit. My doctor recommended an Anti-depressant, apparently those help with what is going on in our brains. Well I stopped, I grew my eyelashes and eyebrows out and holy cow was it hard! I still have my eyelashes but I pulled all my eyebrows out... So now I am at it again, except this time I am doing it cold turkey. I haven't pulled them for going on 10 days and I am seeing great results. I have so many hairs poking out! Everyone says it takes a long time for them to grow back, but I am seeing so many, I'm sure I will be splotchy for a long time, but I don't mind! It just got to that point where I don't want to do it anymore... I hope you all can overcome this! GOOD LUCK!!!

I also have lost outer edge eyelashes on right eye which is noticeable. I did see my eye doctor for a general eye exam and he noticed it also. He told me to wash my eyelids and lashes twice a day with baby shampoo. I hope this works and hope they will grow back.

I suffer from pulling out my lashes and brows also. I've had this problem since I was 13 I am now 21. It is definitly related to stress I recently started dating the love of my life and being with him has been a stress reliever. My eyebrows are beginning to grow back and I am trying Takila to help improve my eyelash growth. You must understand the problem is not the hair, its about having control over something in your life.. It is a day by day process. The best thing to do is find a healthy way to aleviate stress i.e.(yoga, pilates, running, church etc). Sometimes when the hair is growing back it itches and is it tempting to pull.Try not to, keep your face clean, don't wear make-up at night, and keep you skin moisturized. You're not alone there are over 8 million people in the U.S. with this problem and with any addiction you can overcome it.

:-)

I have had this disorder since I was about 7 or 8 and I am now almost 16. When I was younger, my parents would get mad at me for pulling out ALL of my eyelashes constantly, we never knew that it was a disorder. I just found out about a year ago that this was an actual illness and that there are so many people just like me. My case is not as severe as others because my eyelashes are my only vice. I stopped for a very long time and had a full set of lashes until about 4 or 5 months ago. Not all my lashes are gone, but very few remain. I just want all of you to know that your words and stories are extremely helpful! I also want you to know that as of now I am stopping. THANKS SO MUCH AND GOOD LUCK!

I really cannot believe that it is a proper disorder! I thought I was one in a million with my problem. I started plucking my eyebrows when I was about 11.. so finely that they were nearly invisible. People always comented and I hated it, yet I just wouldn't stop. I started using an eyebrow pencil when I was 15 which made them look alot better. I'm 19 now and although I have let them grow... they never fully grew back so I still use the pencil to give more definnition... I hate it though... It's not noticible but I am so concious when I go swimming with friends on holidays because if they see me without it, they will know for sure. :$ I know I shouldn't be emmbarresed about it but nobody else I know has to use a brow pencil.

The reason I came across this forum is though- I used to have really really long lashes but about 6 months ago I bought a new mascara and it was great but at night I had a tendency to pull at the lashes trying to get the mascara off. I ended up pulling lashes out... I didn't even realises I was doing it everyday untill my sister commented. Now it's a bad habbit I just can't seem to break... they have gotten very thin and a clump is now gone from my left lid.

Sorry for going on and on but it is just great to find people with the same issues. I am going to build myself up to stopping very soon. I also believe that it is mainly due to stress as I am known as a stressaholic XD

Goodluck to everyone!

Tip- my aunt told me to rub some linseed oil into the eyelid at night, it is meant to work miracles!

:'( I too have this terrible compulsive disorder, I become very down or anxiety sets in and I at times will spend so much time in the bathroom just cutting my hair for hours until I cant stand anymore and I get it so uneven and lay down awhile then get back up and go at it until its even.. I recently for the first time ever ran in and plucked out every eyebrow and have never done this before, nor have i had them waxed but i have used the shaver mini trimmers around the bottom to shape them but became upset and shaved them off, they did grow back, but now i am horrified my eyebrows wont grow back, this is the first time ever that it has happened and I have been told not to worry i will get them all back, I am 40yrs and have low self esteem and feel the beauty industry does this to alot of us.. I will start to see a therapist in November hoping it helps.. Thanks for sharing everything all of you its helped me out to know I am not alone, and I would love some advice if any of you think I will for sure get my eyebrows back, its been 5 days and nothing yet, but like i said i never waxed or plucked like this before, usually always just mini shave the bottom...Please let me know what you all think and how your doing...Thanks and hugs to you all, Rhonda

Hey guys! I found out a while ago that pulling out eyelashes is a disorder, or caused from stress. I have been doing this for years, since I was 5!!! And now I'm 16, and my family and I are going on a vacation in about a month and a half, and I have to stop! I've stopped many times, and then started again! This time, I'm hoping it's for sure that I stop. I've been using CASTOR OIL (recommended by my grandmother) to help speed up the growth (for my eyelashes and eyebrows which I both pull out).

Right now, I have one eye completely filled with medium length growing eyelashes, but my other one, well, I'm ashamed :$ , but I pulled most of them out, but I do have about 1/5 on the outer side. Also, my eyebrows are growing back too.

Do you think that a month and a half will be enough time for them to grow back? Does anyone have any other remedies for faster eyelash and eyebrow growth?

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!! I know what it's like, because I've tried pulling out EVERY TYPE OF HAIR I could reach!!!

You guys have no idea how comforting it is to know that other people struggle with this. I have thought for years "what is wrong with me?!!?" I hhave been pulling out my brows and lashes since middle school. Now I'm 21, and am trying, again, to cut cold turkey. For you who have gone thru it or are struggling right now, please help!! I am so desperate, embarrassed and discouraged!!

I've had trich since I was in the fifth grade. Now in the eleventh grade, I've been pull free for about two months.

I know how hard it is, truly I do. I just told myself no more. I can't "stop pulling" for my parent's approval, or for the person I like for the moment.

Do it for yourself.

What I did was I printed out a calendar at the beginning of the month and each day I was PF (pull free) I X'd out a day. It's amazing how good I felt everytime I made an X.

My eyebrows have really grown out in just these two months, it's amazing! I don't even really have to draw them in.

Oh, and also only focused one one part. I tried to stop "cold turkey" but my therapist recommended focusing on my eyebrows or eyelashes. So I decided eyebrows.

Started yesterday (the 1st) I printed out a calendar for eyelashes to be included with my eyebrow calendar.

I've been through a TAILSPIN because of this. I know how it is, and I'm living proof that you can do it!

I have faith in you all..

I have the same problem... I've been pulling my eye lashes and my eyebrows since I was 10... Im 20 now and I have NO eye lashes left.. i hate it because people notice and comment about it and its soooo embarrassing. I stopped pulling my eyebrows because that was the most noticeable thing and i would get so insecure that I forced myself to stop. But I just can't stop pulling on my eye lashes.. but its weird because when Im around my boyfriend alot i don't do it at all, but when Im home alone I start to do it again... its weird.

My son is going on 10 this week, and he has pulled out ALL of his eyelashes. I don't know what to do, because I have no insurance to take him to a regular social worker. I have a psychiatrist that has known him since he was 3, and we decided to put him on Prozac earlier this year for depression symptoms. He seemed fine, and a few months late I weined him off of Prozac. I just put him back on about a month ago, because of depression symptoms and trouble at school. I had no idea about the eyelash pulling until a friend noticed a week ago. I asked him about it and he does see a social worker at school. I don't think it is enough (what I already am doing) and I want to stop him before it becomes a permanent thing. o.O

I know how you all feel, I've been pulling out my eyelashes since I was 19 and now I'm 29. I started a new and stressful job and before I started, I had gained some control over my pulling however, once I started the new job, my pulling got worse than ever. I'm now have no lashes on either eye and I am picking/rubbing them to the point of almost bleeding.

I am literally desperate for help or advice.

I'm currently on a low dose of Lexapro and Xanax which I was put on to help with the anxiety that causes the pulling but that hasn't made me stop or help subside the impulses at all. I exercise 5 times a week, have a great sex life, social life and family life. This is one and only thing in my life that I am unable to control.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

I'm 55 and have for years, on and off, been pulling out eyelashes...I realize that when I'm under the gun and anxiety ridden, I do this. I get the feeling that something is crawling in the lashes and feel the need to yank them out. My eyelashes are naturally long and brush up against any glasses I have to wear and that tickling makes me nuts. So, I end up pulling them out, too. Then they look like c**p and I fret over trying to cover it up. I don't wear false eyelashes, I just pack on the mascara to try and hide the loss. This makes my eyes look messy and then that's all I think about. I have big green eyes and it's my best feature so it's very noticeable. I see it's a compulsion I have to stop and take control of. Thing is, I go through periods where I don't do this for months, then things seem to pile up on me, emotionally, and I start pulling out the eyelashes. What the hell?! At my age, you'd think I would have more control, but I don't. I hate this. And it takes months before the lashes grow back!