I was a virgin. I had sex with my boyfriend on Sunday night. We didn't use any protection except the withdrawal method. I am so terrified of the fact that I could be pregnant. I feel like I shouldn't be because we didn't do it for long. All he did was stick it in and out a couple times. What should I do? Should I wait and see if I get my period?

Hi Maris,

It is too early for ANY signs of pregnancy.  It doesn't happen that fast.

You could take an emergency contraceptive.  Within 72 hours they are very reliable.

It doesn't matter how long you had sex.  There is always the chance of pregnancy.

When did your last period start and when do you expect your next?  We can help determine if you would have been fertile.

Hope it helps.

Thank you. What is an emergency contraceptive? My last period started on the 4th of July and ended on the 9th. I had sex on the 14th Sunday night like at 11 to 12. My next period is supposed to com on the 1st or 2nd of August. I have an app that lets me know. I am just terrified of the fact that I could be pregnant. What should I do?

An emergency contraceptive is taken after you had sex to prevent pregnancy. They go by many names, Plan B, IPill, Next Choice, etc. You need to take it within 72 hours though for it to be effective (some say 120 hours but effectiveness drops substantially.

You had sex on day 10 of your cycle. Normally you will ovulate between days 11 and 16. Sperm can survive about 5 days so there is a good chance (about 1 in 5) of pregnancy.

Oh and my app says I was ovulating on the 15th. I am really scared that I could get pregnant. You are the only person I have told this too. All I think about is this. I cant even fall asleep thinking about it. I don't know what my next step should be, what do you recommend I should do?

Maris,

I strongly suggest you get Plan B or another contraceptive, NOW. You only have 72 hours or so to take it to prevent pregnancy.

After that, you're waiting at least 2 weeks, preferably 3, before you can take a home test (or you have your period).

How old are you?

Thank you but the 72 hours have passed and its too late to take the contraceptive. I guess I am going to have to wait and see what happens. I am 16 years old. I have a question can you like get your period and be pregnant at the same time?

If you are pregnant, no, you will not have your period. But, you can have bleeding.

If you're period is "different", not the same as usual, then that is a concern.

okay, I guess I will have to wait. If I get my period, should I still get a pregnancy test and take it after my period to make sure I am not pregnant?

You can always test if you have any doubts. You need to wait at least 2, preferably 3, weeks after having sex though. Use your wake up pee when you test for the best accuracy.

Waiting until after you expect your period is a good idea. Testing early, false negatives are common. False positives are rare.

Okay I will do that.

Well I got my period August 1st and it ended the 5th. I am really happy I got it. I have a question though. I had sex with a condom on the 29th. Do you think if there is any way I could be pregnant after having my period?

I'm glad you had your period.

If your period was "normal" as in like your others, you aren't pregnant. It would be very UNLIKELY that you'd get pregnant having sex a few days before your period at any point. You are at your lowest fertility.

Hope it helps.