My close friend has just been diagnosed with a very rare and serious autoimmune disease called Idiopathic autoimmune hemolytic anemia. She has been put on medication and claims she is feeling OK, but I am very worried about her. I didn't want to ask her, but I do really need to find out what the prognosis and life expectancy is for Idiopathic autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Do you know?

I think that the autoimmune version of Idiopathic hemolytic anemia is just a little less serious than the normal one. What meds has your friend been put on? I know that Idiopathic autoimmune hemolytic anemia can come seemingly out of nowhere and develop really quickly. But it does not always have to be gloom and doom. Some people go on to be very old and live very normal lives. I guess you need to be brave and ask your friend details of exactly what her doctors told her.

Ummm...no.  Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia is a life-threatening illness that can kill.  Treatments are generally NOT successful long term, and relapses are common after a short period.  Splenectomy may provide a short-term relief, followed by serious drugs that generally have critical side-effects.  And the most common treatment, Prednisone, is not a long-term solution in that the side-effects from the drug can be both debilitating and cause an earlier death.  People with this illness do not live to be very old, and do NOT live normal lives.  This is a serious chronic illness that can destroy a life and will certainly shorten it.

My husband was diagnosis when he was approximately 50-52 years old. He died in 1989 at age 60, from the anemia, heart failure, diabetes, etc. At that time the only help was from blood transfusions. He lived a wonderful life, full of fun, etc., which I feel was his personality.

I have this disease and I am 64 you are welcome to email me or just write back to me if this web address and he will get your message I hope you do thank you so much.

I have not he.

i am 15 years old.. and i am diagnosed with autoimmune hemolytic anemia ..genetic one

Thanks a lot for giving me no hope. I was just diagnosed with this in November 2016.

Check out the facebook group "Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AHIA diagnosed)". There are lots of people with the disease on there and many have had it for years. It is not a death sentence. You do need to think about what you are doing to treat it, and make sure it will work over time.

I was diagnosed in april 1979 (i was 15yoa), There is hope however every one is different. I was pretty functional until early 2016. I feel as I' am aging at a much more rapid pace.

would mind e mailing me my e mail ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of private e-mails is not allowed*** *** all questions should be discussed on our website *** Please read our Terms of Use

I have had autoimmune hemolytic anemia for four and a half years. I also have lupus erythematosus. I am 64 yr old female. I was first put on prednisone and plaquenel. I am doing great and never have any problems.I after four months stopped prednidone and I take plaquenel twice daily.