I hope I have come to the right place. A good friend of mine has been told that she has got autoimmune hepatitis and she is only young! It sounds like a rather creepy, scary disease top me. I didn't dare to ask her what the life expectancy is for autoimmune hepatitis, because I am afraid to talk about it. Can you perhaps give me some idea on what the life expectancy might be for my friend?

If she responds to medications, she will have a normal life expectancy. But why are you afraid to ask her about this? You will be doing her quite a favor by allowing her to vent about her disease especially since she's not going to look sick. The medications that will save her life also have some difficult side effects such as weight gain and mood swings. I hope she is seeing a good hepatologist or at least a GI who is quite experienced with AIH.

I have had this disease for 20 years with little problems. Just make sure your friend has a good Dr.

Deb how old were you when you were diagnosed and are you able to function normally. My daughter is 11 and is on the verge of diagnosis and I am scared to death for her. Did you have Mri's and biopsy how did they diagnose it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....any positive indicators