Hi, I have a six months old son. His small intestine was blocked after his birth so he had to undergo a surgery. After the operation the doctors did some additional tests and my boy was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. This was a great shock for me and my husband. The doctor said that condition is serious, but that with the right therapy our son will have a long life, but he didn't say what he considered under long. Can you tell me what the life expectancy of patients with cystic fibrosis is?

Hi, cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder. It affects the whole body causing slower development and many infections. Lungs and pancreas are mostly endangered, but other organs suffer as well. Unfortunately scientists have not yet found the cure for cystic fibrosis. The treatment usually considers the treating of infections. Because the modern medicine is developing very fast, these infections can be held under control for lot longer. But because of constant infections, organs are starting to fail, mostly lungs. This is what causes death of people suffering from cystic fibrosis. However, the medicine is developing rapidly. People with this condition used to die in the second decade of their life. Now they live to be forty. I am sure that soon their will be some kind of cure that will allow people with cystic fibrosis to live a very long life.

hi, im sorry to here that your son has cf, both my father and auntie have the disease! 20 years ago children were not expected to live past their 3rd birthday, but now they can expect to live long and full lives, the life expectancy at the moment is between 40 and 45. my father is currently 42 and he is still going strong!!

I have CF and I am 13. The life expectancy varies a lot but I just had onle of my good friends die at 16, and two others each 20 something.

I had a friend with a very severe case of cf. he died almost a year ago. He was 15 years old.
Hope your son is doing well!! My thoughts go out to you and your family.

My cousin has Cf and she is now 20 years old and also married;D Praying for all of you

Hello I hope this reply finds your son healthy. I am a new user to this internet stuff, but I had to reply to you even though it has been six years. I am a 52 year old female with cystic fibrosis, I was diagnosed at two months old in 1960. I developed diabetes in 1992 and have had a double lung transplant in 2002. My advice to you is to let your son eat anything he wants as long as he takes his digestive enzymes which I feel has made me reach this age, thanks to my Mum who was never strict with my food.

I am 52 and I had a double lung transplant 10 years ago. My advice is to stay positive and take all your tablets

my cousin has cystic fibrosis and i love her to death, everyday i think about her! she's 7, very healthy and the doctor says a healthy cf patient can live as long as 60-70 years old. i was thrilled to her that news! she has been hospitalized a few times but only to make her better... the hospital does nothing but help. my prayers go out to you and your family!<3

xoxoxo

I am a new mom to a cf baby, I could really use someone to talk to.

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Amrerc, I have a teenage son and husband with CF (my husband was diagnosed with CF after my son). They have different mutations which affect them completely differently. My husband doesn’t need any medications. His only problem is that has longer recover time after flu/cold and might need to take antibiotics more often. They both are doing very well. I believe that physical exercise, healthy and nutritious diet and active lifestyle helped us to raise a strong child. Those recommendations are good for everyone, but they are especially important for people with CF. There are certain physical activities (such as running, swimming, hiking, skiing) help to clear lungs. Even singing and playing wind musical instruments give additional exercise for your lungs. Enzymes and other medications are very important too - they prevent lung and liver damage and help to digest food and deliver vital nutrients. I am confident that my husband and son will have a long and productive life. Why not? My recommendation to you – always stays positive, follow your CF doctor recommendation, and do not shelter you child. Peace and love.

Hello, I have a girlfriend with cystic fibrosis, she is 19 years old. I didnt care that much before, then my father died in my hands and I started really to try figure her diseases out. It makes me think about her every second. I did read a post here when a woman said that she is 52 years old and still alive and her lungs were transplanted at year 2002 ? If her lungs were transplanted it makes me think, it is like new lungs, new start ? I mean like they are starting to get damaged again but they are new so it means that woman will live like normal human being ? I wanna have family with her but i am really scared that she would die young...

My boyfriend is 35 with CF. His lungs are still at 106%. He never has been hospitalized for it yet! Thank God! He gets lots of stomach aches though.

My friends cousin has cystic fibrosis she is 19 she is in a coma how long do you think she will live

I am 61 and have cf. Delta 508 and w1282x genes. Worked from 16 until retiring 5 years ago. Watch out for new issues as you get older. Have had a very good life. Have to admit this disease gets a lot harder past 55 or so. Part is aging,part is the wear and tear and damage cf drugs, age, and stress do to the body. Keep as healthy as you can and try to avoid prednisone if you can. The damage is accumulative. Bone, and skin damage, and tobra iv's cause hearing loss and balance issues.