HI, I noticed lately, that my husband gets tired easily, seems pale, stays short of breath and has fast heart beating. After many suspecions and research docotrs diagnosed him with Idiopathic Autoimmune Haemolytic Anaemia. I would like to learn more about this condition.

Idiopathic Autoimmune Haemolytic Anaemia is characterized by production of antibodies (specialized defense molecules) against its own red blood cells. Red blood cells are prematuraly destroyed causing anemia. Anemia leads to insufficient oxygen and nourishing molecules delivery, resulting in dysfunction of many organs. Idiopatic means that the cause is unknown. The disease comes suddenly and can have fast progression. Therapy starts with prednison. If prednison doesn’t provide benefit, splenectomy (removal of spleen) is the next step. If this also stays without result immunosupressive therapy is undertaken.