Hello! I am diagnosed hepatitis B and after some time of treatment I have reached a remarkable decline in virus in my blood. Every thing was fine till August when the results showed increase. At first I thought the results were wrong and I asked my doctor to repeat them but the following results were even worse. I was really disappointed. Then my doctor suggested a combination of Hepsera and Baraclude and I am wondering is Hepsera and Baraclude a typical combination now?

Hello! It is usual that most patients respond well to the anti-viral therapy at first time. Unfortunately after some time of treatment the possibility of resistance developing is increasing. Then doctors usually introduce another antiviral medicine which does not have the same resistance patterns. It is individual, form patient to patient, how fast the results will show improvement. If such combination does not improve your condition, your doctor will probably try with another drug instead, usually Tenofivir. But, I suggest keeping on with this combination at least three months and see how your body will react. All the best!

yes combination therapy is common now....because previous therapies are showing resistance and to control the virus there are two options: to switch to a more potent agent. second option is to add on to the original therapy to get better control. the switching of therapies pose their own problems: the prior therapies used. if you were on a cheaper/ineffective therapy previously that would limit you to addition only because of cross resistance. but, if you were failing on hepsera then completely switching over to 1 mg baraclude would be effective as there is no cross resistance and you would be switching to a different class of drug. but, if you've already failed on epivir before and then swtiched to hepsera then your only option left is to add on baraclude to hepsera therapy. black