Hello! I have been using Hepsera for one year. My condition is satisfactory and I am regularly being monitored by my doctor. But, what concerns me is the article I read in some newspapers that there are many patients who become resistant to Hepsera. Since my body responded good to Hepseraand I the results are stabile so far I am wondering is there a risk I may develop resistance to Hepsera?

Hi! Well, drug resistance has been a concern of all specialists and their patients. I can tell you that any virus can develop drug resistance. This is the main reason why there is no effective long-term therapy of hepatitis B or any other viral disease. It is noticed that after three to four years of therapy the risk of resistance to Hepsera is increasing. For example, four of one hundred patients showed resistance to Hepsera after three years of treatment. Some specialists say that is even more, I am not sure. Actually, if you didn't know, Hepsera was found as an alternative therapy for patients who developed resistance to Lamivudine. And, there are medicines for patients who have developed resistance to Hepsera, like Baraclude, for example.