My girlfriend has hepatitis B for few years. Until now she was on interferon alpha for some time (she could not stand the side effects) and on lamivudine (she developed resistance). Now she is offered to take Hepsera. Her doctor told us that Hepsera is a new drug for chronic hepatitis B and that could be her best chance. Can you tell us more about this drug? Will Hepsera cure my girlfriend?

Hepsera is new drug for treating people with chronic Hepatitis B. Hepsera is approved by FDA. According to studies, that have been done, there was no developing resistance among patients. Also, the very important thing is, that only few patients reported side effects related with Hepsera therapy. For your girlfriend, important thing is that with this mediation she can put under control her disease, but she can not cure it.