My friend's father has been diagnosed with cytomegalovirus, which looks like a severe condition. He is a great friend of our entire family and we are concerned about him. He said that he has been given hepsera for treating his illness but as far as I know, hepsera is used for hepatitis b. Is there some mistake or hepsera can be used for cytomegalovirus, too?

You have to know that many medications today have multiple functions, so when we look at the hepsera as an antiviral drug, I think that it is safe to assume that it can be used for several viruses, not just hepatitis. What I know for sure, is that it cannot eliminate the virus from the organism only slow down the processes of viral growth and progression. Also, there are some possible side effects that might complicate things additionally.