Hello! I am three months pregnant and I am looking forward to having my baby! I have been reading a lot about pregnancy, child delivery and postpartum recovery. One thing that I find very disturbing are signs of postpartum depression. It seems that it can become a very serious issue for some women. Is postpartum depression real problem or another myth? How often does it occur?

Hi! I am 8 months pregnant and I am also a bit concerned about the postpartum depression. I have been talking to other women who have recently had babies and asked for their advice. I was also mostly interested in how often it happens. The answers I got calmed me somewhat. Namely, postpartum depression does often occur after the child birth but usually in its mild form called “baby blues”. “Baby blues” makes you feel teary, a bit moody, and it also gives you trouble sleeping. It usually goes away in couple of weeks though and everything gets back to normal.

Hi! My wife suffered from the postpartum depression after our son was born. But it was real depression and not just “baby blues”, so no, it is not a myth. She felt worthless and unloved. She was very sad all the time and even though about hurting herself and the baby. Due to these symptoms she had a hard time caring for her baby and their mother- baby bonding was very slow. She wouldn’t eat and lost a lot of weight. The doctor gave her some antidepressants and she took to counseling and in two months everything was back to normal. It is very important if you feel depressed after your babies are born that you talk to your doctor or husband and not keep it to yourself. Good luck girls!