Hi friends. I have find out that my good friend is diagnosed with postpartum depression. I didn't find out this from her, I think that she won't tell me about this. And that is a little bit bad because I really want to tell her that I do know what she is dealing with. But I can't. 

Well, the main problem is because I don't know anyone with this type of depression and I really don't know for how long does postpartum depression last?

The main question is what are the treatment options?

Anyone in here dealing with same problem? 

Tnx. 

I remember that, when I was diagnosed with postpartum depression I believed that I am the only one. At least, that was the only reasonable explanation for me because no one could understand what I am going through. I assume that your friend gave a birth to a lovely baby a couple of months ago, right? Well, it is hard to tell for how long this lasts, because every lady is different. I was suffering for seven months after I gave a birth to my son, but I found the information that even one year after ladies can suffer from this type of the depression.

Yes, you are totally right Guest. Now I see that I forgot to mention this. She gave a birth to a lovely girl named Anya three months ago. Her husband told me about her depression moments and he told me because he is really scared for her health and for their baby as well. One day she will tell that she has problem, and the next day she will tell that this is not true and that she is perfectly fine.

What helped you, what treatment options? Do you know any treatment options that are fast and adequate? Tnx a lot!

Yes, like I told you it can be very bad. I don't believe that she would do something to her baby, but you can't never tell. People who are depressed have physical problems and that is the main problem. So, you can't tell how she is going to behave or what she is going to do. Her husband has totally right to be concerned. Psychotherapy helped me and I think that this can help to anyone. It may help to talk through your concerns with a psychiatrist, psychologist or other mental health provider. Actually, I am sure that this can help. Through therapy, you can find better ways to cope with your feelings, solve problems, set realistic goals and respond to situations in a positive way. So tell him about this.

Hello there.

My mom's friend had this situation as well and doctor told her that it is pretty much common to ladies who are prone to any kind of depression. So, my moms friend gave a birth  to her first child when she was 40. That was pretty late so when we noticed that she is depressed, we were sure that this is because she is older, because she never had a baby before, because she doesn't know how to deal with it, etc. But that was not true. She was in actually postpartum depression and in her case it lasted one year and two months I think. 

Hey Rafferty, 

This type of depression shouldn't really last for longer than two weeks. This is, of course, if everything turns out to be okay and this person gets over it. However, there are many cases in which postpartum depression lasts for more than two weeks, and when this happens, it can become serious and because of that it is advised that women who are suffering from postpartum depression for more than just two weeks should seek professional help, like psychologists or psychiatrists (in more serious cases). Treatment options are medications and special teas, and consulting someone professional about this, of course.

Eating Boss is right, this shouldn't last for more than two weeks, two weeks is the normal lasting time of postpartum depression. But just like he said as well, there are many cases in which postpartum depression prolongs and as it keeps on going, it gets harder to treat it. This is why postpartum depression should be monitored by a psychologist (if you ask me). As soon as the person who gave birth to a child notices (either she notices, or someone close to her) that she is suffering from depression, she should start seeing a psychologist until she gets better.

My wife had this, and it was so annoying. Lucky for me, she had it only for one week of time. I went to talk to her doctor without telling her, and he was the one who told me about postpartum depression. He later said that I was lucky that it lasted for just a week because some women have problems with this for a longer period of time. 

I don't know about the treatment options, but this doctor told me to take her to him if she doesn't get better so that he can make her an appointment with a psychologist.

It's hard, I remember this like it was yesterday, I was 11 back then and my mom was pregnant with my little brother. A couple of days after she delivered, we noticed something odd about her, her behavior changed completely. We all kind of assumed that it had something to do with the baby, but nobody knew what exactly. My parents eventually got into a fight and they separated. We all learned pretty soon that she was suffering from depression but she didn't want to do anything about it. It has been 10 years since then and she hasn't changed one bit.

Hey everyone.

This is something that affects more than 70 % of the mothers. So that is not something that is rare and of course that there is a treatment for this issue. All you need to know is that this lady, who is in this type of condition, really needs help and she can't be alone in this.  It can develop anywhere from a few weeks to a year after delivery, but it's most common in the first three months postpartum and you should know it. I don't know how long this last, but it can last until baby is one year old. 

Good luck!

Hey. I agree. I was in this type of depression and I know how hard it can be and how you feel when you are in this condition. It is horrible and sometimes you really don't know what to do or how to behave in those situations. But you also need to know that it is normal to develop certain emotions when you have a baby for the fist time. Even for the second time. But if you've been feeling sad, moody, guilty, or hopeless for more than a couple of weeks, it could be postpartum depression. And in this case you need to seek for help. I had this depression for more than one year and was thinking that this will never stop. But it stopped, tnx God. I was not alone.