I am a new mom, this is my first time, my first child and I was so happy when I got her that I couldn't possibly explain it to you. However, I think that I am suffering from postpartum depression. It's been two weeks since I gave birth to my beautiful girl and I think that I have been depressed for the whole two weeks. I wrote about my symptoms on the internet and the internet told me that I have postpartum depression, I think I agree. I am wondering if anyone here might recommend me some treatment options for this matter.

Postpartum depression shouldn't last for more than a month so I assume that you are going to get better soon. However, if you don't get better, then it is time to do something in order to treat this. I think that your first step towards treating depression would be to talk to a psychologist. You will need professional help and he will tell you how to continue treating this, he will give you all the info that you need. But don't do anything before one month passes since you gave birth, if you don't feel any better, go and talk to a psychologist.

It's true, postpartum depression only lasts for about a month after you've delivered, my wife had postpartum depression, that is what got me reading and learning about depression in the first place. It is normal for this type of depression to last up to one month, everything more than one month is not normal and it means that your depression is no longer postpartum depression, it has become a regular type of depression and requires professional help in order to overcome it. I will agree with Nina when she says that if this prolongs for more than a month, you should talk to a psychologist.

So I shouldn't really do anything about it now? Are you sure about this? I am asking because I know one person who is suffering from depression and he is doing a lot of things in order to overcome it, he is running every day, doing yoga and stuff, he is taking antidepressants as well, am I not supposed to do the same things as he is doing? I should just wait until one month passes since the birth of my child? I mean, I prefer it this way anyway, if I don't have to do anything, then I won't do anything.

Yes, this is a different kind of depression and in most cases it will simply go away on its own. Only a small number of people continue to suffer from depression after a month has passed since they've delivered so I don't think that you have anything to worry about, you'll be just fine. In case it prolongs, just go and talk to a psychologist and he will tell you what to do next. It won't be too hard to treat your depression since you have figured out that you are suffering from it this early, just stay strong and that's it.

Hi. Sure, it can be treated with both - psychotherapy and antidepressants. But, psychotherapy seems like better option for me. It is good because it may help you to talk through your concerns with a psychiatrist and tell him about your issues, tell him everything that bothers you. Through this therapy, you can find better ways to cope with your current feelings, you can find some good ways to solve your problems, problems that are bothering you, but you can also set realistic goals and respond to situations in a positive way. I think that in this type of therapy family should be involved because it can help you.

You will get better soon, don't worry. When it comes to treatment for postpartum depression, it usually involves you and your partner. Actually, this is something that is recommended, for mutual understanding.

This type of treatment will give you an emotional support. So I would definitely recommend it before you accept any types of medications, and I am sure that your doctor will try to give them to you.

Don't worry at all, they are good, but if you ask me, medications are not necessary. Why? Because, like you could read from Nina's comment, this will go away very soon. 

Hey,

To find the best possible treatment, you need to consult the doctor immediately, before this gets worse. You are a new mom and a fact says that about 90% of women who have postpartum depression can be treated successfully just with medication. If medications can't help alone, it is OK to combine medication and psychotherapy. But something needs to be!

Now, from what you have told us it is hard to tell what is the best for you, I still do believe that you can successfully treat it with medications but you should definitely do some researches about this. 

Good afternoon there.

How about some natural remedies before you start to panic like all of us do? I have heard that those remedies can help, especially if you start to take more vitamins than usual. I want to suggest you a Omega-3 fatty acids as well, because those acids are getting some attention among researchers as a possible help for PPD. So, it is generally worth of trying because they can help you. Also, vitamin B12 is very important in this, so try to eat more meat, vegetables, flax seeds, chia seeds. Try this but of course consult your doctor. 

I don't agree with you 62. I always support natural remedies, but not in this case. She is a new mom and we all do know with what kind of problems new mom can be faced. Treating postpartum depression after having a baby alone is not a good idea. Yes, I also do agree that after a few months you are going to be OK, but if you let this and if you avoid the treatment, it can become something even worse. Don't do it. Tell your doctor how you feel about this, What if this doesn't go away by itself? Trust me, you as a new mom should get as much help as you can get. Don't treat it alone, seek for the help. It is not dangerous,but still - you don't know what is the best for you.